Should I buy a Sony STRDA 2400ES AV Amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My Current set up consists of the following: Virgin V+ box, PS3, Samsung DVD recorder, Mordurant Short speaker range (Alumini front (replaced 902 as descreet), 905 centre 902 rear centre with pair of Bi Polars and 302 Sub) hooked up to Sony KDL 40W2000 TV via Denon 1906 amp. I'm happy with my system but feel that the amp is getting tried and although I use good quality cabling i.e. Russ Andrews Powerkord, Qed Silver and Qed HDMI/ Opitical cables its all a bit of a mess behind the scenes. I also have to use a seperate HDMI switching box which is a pain to use.

I'm hoping that the new Sony 2400 will tie my system together better as it can carry sound including HD over the HDMI and used less cables as well as it is better sounding. Also the upscale ability is a big plus and fits into my budget of £400-£500. My worry is, I have heard it cannot upscale to 1080p output using the HDMI inputs such as the V+ box (1080i) and Samsung (1080i) when connected. Is this true? If so will I be lossing out much quality and is this the right Amp to go for on this basis. This is a big investment for me and I would not mind further assistance on this subject and if there are other ways I cound improve my system overall.

Would also consider the Onkyo 606 or Yamaha 863 if price is right

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
azd:
My Current set up consists of the following: Virgin V+ box, PS3, Samsung DVD recorder, Mordurant Short speaker range (Alumini front (replaced 902 as descreet), 905 centre 902 rear centre with pair of Bi Polars and 302 Sub) hooked up to Sony KDL 40W2000 TV via Denon 1906 amp. I'm happy with my system but feel that the amp is getting tried and although I use good quality cabling i.e. Russ Andrews Powerkord, Qed Silver and Qed HDMI/ Opitical cables its all a bit of a mess behind the scenes. I also have to use a seperate HDMI switching box which is a pain to use.

I'm hoping that the new Sony 2400 will tie my system together better as it can carry sound including HD over the HDMI and used less cables as well as it is better sounding. Also the upscale ability is a big plus and fits into my budget of £400-£500. My worry is, I have heard it cannot upscale to 1080p output using the HDMI inputs such as the V+ box (1080i) and Samsung (1080i) when connected. Is this true? If so will I be lossing out much quality and is this the right Amp to go for on this basis. This is a big investment for me and I would not mind further assistance on this subject and if there are other ways I cound improve my system overall.

Would also consider the Onkyo 606 or Yamaha 863 if price is right

Not many, if any, receivers under £1k can upscale hdmi. You won't be missing out though. Non upscaled 1080i (like Sky HD) is better than upscaled dvd to 1080p.

I have the 3400es and it's just brilliant - I would wholeheartedly recommend checking out the 2400es.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice, I really do like this amp in any case especially as it matches with much of my system. Using your obvious knowledge on the subject and noting that I will not be able to upscale using the HDMI, will I at least get the following benefits as I have never used a HDMI amp:

• All sources i.e PS3, V+, Samsung can be connected via the amp without need for aditional cabling such optical/ co ax etc
  • HDMI Switching
  • Will the HDMI at least 'pass thru' allowing no loss of quality for picture/sound sources.
  • I also noticed you use a Dac Magic within your set up which I sold off a while ago. Do you retain your as the amp on board dac are nor up to scratch.

Would really value your views. As I said before this a big investment for me and want to make sure I get value for money otherwise theres no point upgrading.

P.S. I also have a Linsky DMA 1200 which I use upstairs. Do you find this slow responding too? I was thinking of getting another PS3 as its streaming abilities is brilliant. However would prefer to get the best out of Linsky's if I could. I have updated and it is hard wired (not wireless) via CAT 5.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails

Could you give a brief opinion of 3400ES?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
azd:
Thanks for the advice, I really do like this amp in any case especially as it matches with much of my system. Using your obvious knowledge on the subject and noting that I will not be able to upscale using the HDMI, will I at least get the following benefits as I have never used a HDMI amp:

• All sources i.e PS3, V+, Samsung can be connected via the amp without need for aditional cabling such optical/ co ax etc
  • HDMI Switching
  • Will the HDMI at least 'pass thru' allowing no loss of quality for picture/sound sources.
  • I also noticed you use a Dac Magic within your set up which I sold off a while ago. Do you retain your as the amp on board dac are nor up to scratch.

Would really value your views. As I said before this a big investment for me and want to make sure I get value for money otherwise theres no point upgrading.

P.S. I also have a Linsky DMA 1200 which I use upstairs. Do you find this slow responding too? I was thinking of getting another PS3 as its streaming abilities is brilliant. However would prefer to get the best out of Linsky's if I could. I have updated and it is hard wired (not wireless) via CAT 5.

You could just use hdmi only yes. I use the DacMagic with my 840A stereo amp not my receiver. And my Linksys extender works brilliantly - no delays. My brother in law has noticed a few problems. It's all to do with how much inteference you get with walls and other components. Mine is fine though. I've also read that wireless can work better than being hard wired (which I find ridiculous). What router do you have? I have a Super G.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Davey1984:
Gerrardasnails

Could you give a brief opinion of 3400ES?

Well, I can only go by what I've listened to personally. I used to have the 1200es and I've heard the Denon 2808 in action - it hammers both. It's very easy to use - the GUI is a dream. It goes really loud but it's very accurate and it looks good - it's actually smaller and lighter than my old 1200es. A real no brainer. I paid over the odds (the £700 rrp) when it first came out but I don't regret it at all.

A

Anonymous

Again thanks for the advice. The router I have is a Netgear W824 V2 Range Master which can be set to wireless. I always thought wired was the way forward but will give wireless a go now.

Apologies for the digression from the main subject. But back to the task at hand. Today I popped in Richer Sounds as I was drawn in for a second by the Denon 1909 which has just had its price slashed from over £400 to just £299. However after talking with the guy's there I have returned back to Sony (£380) as the likely purchase due to its specs. Although, they were gung ho in trying to sell me the Onkyo 606 which as been reduced to £350 as the better amp. Their argument is there is little difference between the two unit except price and the Sony ability to scale up to 1080p. They did go futher to say Onkyo was better sounding hence it is their platform model for demos.

The thing I find strange is they also claim (two people checked) that the Sony can scale from HDMI yet comfirmed by you and other threads read is that it can't. I would like to buy with confidence and if the Sony is clearly heads and shoulders above the rest besides this point then it makes a sound buy. However can't help get the feeling if I do buy and it doesn't scale then I might feel a little short changed as I could have gone for a cheaper alternatives (Yamaha 763 or Onkyo 606) and achieved the similar results.

Have I understood this right, or is the Sony much more special and I'm missing the point. I have read the What HiFi review but again this doesn't clearly seperate it from the herd though received five stars. For example, if I put the scaling abilities aside would the Yamaha AX763 not be an excellent contender especially at £299 with five stars recieved within the same review as the Sony?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
azd:
Again thanks for the advice. The router I have is a Netgear W824 V2 Range Master which can be set to wireless. I always thought wired was the way forward but will give wireless a go now.

Apologies for the digression from the main subject. But back to the task at hand. Today I popped in Richer Sounds as I was drawn in for a second by the Denon 1909 which has just had its price slashed from over £400 to just £299. However after talking with the guy's there I have returned back to Sony (£380) as the likely purchase due to its specs. Although, they were gung ho in trying to sell me the Onkyo 606 which as been reduced to £350 as the better amp. Their argument is there is little difference between the two unit except price and the Sony ability to scale up to 1080p. They did go futher to say Onkyo was better sounding hence it is their platform model for demos.

The thing I find strange is they also claim (two people checked) that the Sony can scale from HDMI yet comfirmed by you and other threads read is that it can't. I would like to buy with confidence and if the Sony is clearly heads and shoulders above the rest besides this point then it makes a sound buy. However can't help get the feeling if I do buy and it doesn't scale then I might feel a little short changed as I could have gone for a cheaper alternatives (Yamaha 763 or Onkyo 606) and achieved the similar results.

Have I understood this right, or is the Sony much more special and I'm missing the point. I have read the What HiFi review but again this doesn't clearly seperate it from the herd though received five stars. For example, if I put the scaling abilities aside would the Yamaha AX763 not be an excellent contender especially at £299 with five stars recieved within the same review as the Sony?

From what I've read the Sony is only beaten by the Yamaha 863 in the similar price range. It's supposed to be better than the Onkyo. I reckon RS are trying to sell the Onkyos as they know that the Sonys will sell easier and they make more profit margins with the Onkyos. The mag gave the 606 five stars and then reviewed the Denon 1909 and said that was better and then the Sony was regarded as better still and then Yamaha dropped the 863's price from £800 to £600 and the mag raved over it.

I really wouldn't worry about the upscaling issue. If you are using Virgin + you will get an upscaled picture from the box itself, bluray doesn't get upscaled andd your dvd player will upscale itself.

A

Anonymous

Hi There,

Went into RS to buy a Sony and low and behold their out of stock.

As the guy's know me (bought alot of AV from them) and still strying to push a 606 advising I am making a mistake, I 've given one to try out while I wait for new stock. They have even agreed if I like it and keep it they would knock off another £30 off the already discounted £350 making it just £320!

They must really want me to have it and the price is tempting. But, must resist and wait for the Sony and at least give it go. There was one short comming of the Sony I have just noticed which is important to me which there is no A-B or multi room function to play music in another room from the same amp. This is function I do use alot nad thoight all amps at this level are spec'd with.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
azd:
Hi There,

Went into RS to buy a Sony and low and behold their out of stock.

As the guy's know me (bought alot of AV from them) and still strying to push a 606 advising I am making a mistake, I 've given one to try out while I wait for new stock. They have even agreed if I like it and keep it they would knock off another £30 off the already discounted £350 making it just £320!

They must really want me to have it and the price is tempting. But, must resist and wait for the Sony and at least give it go. There was one short comming of the Sony I have just noticed which is important to me which there is no A-B or multi room function to play music in another room from the same amp. This is function I do use alot nad thoight all amps at this level are spec'd with.

If you need the multi room function then fair enough but it does sound like they are desperate to get rid of their 606s.

A

Anonymous

After all that the Onkyo 606 did fit on my AV rack. Went back and swapped for Denon AVR 1909 (£285) while RS get Sony stock.

When described the 1909 does tick all the boxes i.e. 1080p scaling/ switching from HDMI, 3 HDMI inputs including multi room function etc. Set up, it does sound great over my current AVR-1906 although has not been run in yet. There are two problems which is the set up system is hard work (poor OSD and instructions) and stereo speaker will only work in another room (zone 2) with the sacrifice of 7.1 sound to 5.1 unless I go for the expensive opiton of cabling to a seperate amp to fire up speakers. This is not an option.

However, I could just get a speaker switch for (£15 by QED) and link to the front speakers. However this option could be used on any amp. Which brings me back full circle to my original problem. Is the Sony reviewed by What Hifi a better unit although £70 more as would have to pay £355 to own?

Sorry I already driven you mad, Gerrardasnails, mad with this problem however further comments are still valued. Also would value any other person input who may have tried both units. I have three days to make a desicion to change it. Should I go for the Sony on this basis?

Virgin V+ box, PS3, Samsung R-155 DVD recorder, Mordurant Short Alumini front (replaced 902 as descreet), 905 front centre (bi wired) 902 rear centre rear Bi Polars and 302 Sub, Sony KDL 40W2000 LCD TV, Denon AVR-1906. Russ Andrews Powerkord, Qed Silver Aniversary, Qed HDMI-P, Clearer Audio HDMI, Tacima C929 mains filter.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
azd:

After all that the Onkyo 606 did fit on my AV rack. Went back and swapped for Denon AVR 1909 (£285) while RS get Sony stock.

When described the 1909 does tick all the boxes i.e. 1080p scaling/ switching from HDMI, 3 HDMI inputs including multi room function etc. Set up, it does sound great over my current AVR-1906 although has not been run in yet. There are two problems which is the set up system is hard work (poor OSD and instructions) and stereo speaker will only work in another room (zone 2) with the sacrifice of 7.1 sound to 5.1 unless I go for the expensive opiton of cabling to a seperate amp to fire up speakers. This is not an option.

However, I could just get a speaker switch for (£15 by QED) and link to the front speakers. However this option could be used on any amp. Which brings me back full circle to my original problem. Is the Sony reviewed by What Hifi a better unit although £70 more as would have to pay £355 to own?

Sorry I already driven you mad, Gerrardasnails, mad with this problem however further comments are still valued. Also would value any other person input who may have tried both units. I have three days to make a desicion to change it. Should I go for the Sony on this basis?

Virgin V+ box, PS3, Samsung R-155 DVD recorder, Mordurant Short Alumini front (replaced 902 as descreet), 905 front centre (bi wired) 902 rear centre rear Bi Polars and 302 Sub, Sony KDL 40W2000 LCD TV, Denon AVR-1906. Russ Andrews Powerkord, Qed Silver Aniversary, Qed HDMI-P, Clearer Audio HDMI, Tacima C929 mains filter.

I have to say that the GUI on my 3400es (which is the same as the one on the 2400es) is one of the reasons I went for it. It's so easy to use. Both of my bro-in-laws have Denons, one has the 1508 (he is a novice and I had to set it all up for him) and the other has the 2808 (he is a long term AV fan). Both are a pain to set up and the manuals are poor too.

Back to the sound. I can only vouch for my receiver (which many say on spec is very similar to the 2400es). Mine sounds amazing. The 2808 bro in law could not believe it when we had a day of demoing a few weeks back. He says it's the best system he's heard.

The reviews suggest that the Sony is better than the Denon. It's supposed to be better for stereo sound and it was reviewed as a £500 machine and not a £355 one! If it got 5 stars at that price, it sounds like a no brainer to me.

A

Anonymous

Hi Gerrardasnails,

RS advised I could get a Sony from the Bromley Branch rather than my usual Croydon.

I am now the proud owner of a Sony 2400ES for the sum of £353.99 using price match and £10 off. The manual alone makes a difference as it is very clear.

Kids have gone to sleep now so I can now set up. I did notice something in the manual which you might be able to help with. It points out their is an A/B functions that allows for two front speakers to be driven. Therefore in stereo mode is any reason I counldn't wire two of the front speakers in another room as I did before?

In the meantime will update how I get on, but on face value looking good so far.

Thanks for your help

A

Anonymous

All set up and working fine. What a breeze compared with the Denon. Also set up achieved the correct sound results first time. Sounds great and hope will even sound better once run in. It's looks like it was worth the extra money after all.

TRENDING THREADS