Should I bi-wire a set of Monitor Audio RS1s to a Cambridge Audio 640 v2 amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

First of all, hi to one and all...

I'm relatively new to all of this. I have a Cambridge Audio 640 v2 amp and CD player, coupled with a pair of Monitor Audio RS1s. I had been bi-wiring them. However, as a result of one of the speakers crackling , I gave the cables a clean (the problem seems to be gone now!!) , and it got me thinking, should I go back to bi-wire, or simply stick to the one set of cables...

The cables I use are "Monitor Audio Pureflow high performance silver speaker cable"

Also, can someone suggest a better, affordable cable than the one mentioned above

I'd appreciate any guidance...

Thanks

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i would really not bother bi-wire i would remove the jumpers and us some of the same cable as jumpers and see how you get on. I would guess it will sound good. But it really is a try both ways and see.

A

Anonymous

Hi micko35

Apologies for going off your subject matter partly...I have the 640 combo and have just upgraded my cables to chord siverscreen/crimson in an effort to calm some pretty bad brightness in sibilant vocals..the usual suspects sss tttt etc

They have helped only slightly with the top end and more strongly with the bass end plus sounding more open which is a plus.

I'm using 9.1's Do you experience any the brightness I describe and do you think I can get rid of it?

Cheers

Mike

A

Anonymous

Stick with one more expensive run of speaker cable, then cut off some jumper cables from the end of it.

Used to have the 640 amp and cd player, they did have a forward top end, and the chord did sort it a bit, but I was using an atlas equator mk2 as interconnect.

A

Anonymous

The first thing i would suggest is change the speaker cable for an all copper one like dnm reson or dnm precision. The RSi's with the CA 640 amp is an extremely bright shrill combination and with silver cable i can't help feeling it will sound brutal! I had a set of rs1's with a ca 640 amp and silver plated cable for a short while, before i upgraded the amp, and it was borderline unlistenable it was so bright. However, if you like a sound like fingernails down a blackboard then ignore me and single wire. I could not tell any difference when i bi wired or single wired the rs1's. I feel that generally twin binding posts are there to bi amp,not bi wire, when you will notice a real difference.

A

Anonymous

Thanks folks. I need to digest all this

Like I said, I'm new to all this, and find myself floundering a little bit....

T

the record spot

Been using Audioquest Type 4 biwire cable in 2x5m runs for over a decade now, no problems, great low cost cable, get some secondhand and you'll be fine. Spending a fortune on this stuff is not a priority, just get some single core copper type (which the AQ is) and the job's done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts