Should Apple move into the tv market!

T

theflyingwasp

This could be a game changer! If apple manage to produce a tv with with similar specs as the current flagship tvs throw in a mac aswell behind the screen or Mac mini that sits at the back of the tv,a wireless keyboard/remote with Apple TV built in as standard ,it would be a very impressive machine ,I think a retina screen will be as pointless as 4k at 50,55 and 60 inch plus far to expensive at the moment but they could probably do for £3000.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
This could be a game changer! If apple manage to produce a tv with with similar specs as the current flagship tvs throw in a mac aswell behind the screen or Mac mini that sits at the back of the tv,a wireless keyboard/remote with Apple TV built in as standard ,it would be a very impressive machine ,I think a retina screen will be as pointless as 4k at 50,55 and 60 inch plus far to expensive at the moment but they could probably do for £3000.

Its been rumoured for a while that Apple have been looking at this option:

http://www.techradar.com/news/television/apple-itv-release-date-news-and-rumours-1045768

I think the challenge for Apple is, what would they offer as a USP? The AppleTV box (if connected to your TV & Receiver) already gives pretty seamless integration with your i-tunes account etc, so the trademark Apple 'simplicity' is already available for just £80, and it would be tough for them to compete on Picture Quality against the current marlet leaders without either a huge amount of investment, or offering a 'badged' panel manufactured by someone else.

They could no doubt differentiate through design, but if it's basically someone else's panel, with AppleTV built in and a nice, white glossy bezel then they might struggle to leverage a premium over the cost of other manufacturers.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
I'm not an Apple fan so I don't really care too much in all honesty.

It's been rumoured for a very long time now that they have looked at this and everytime the next Apple reveal day is on the horizon (about this time of year) more rumours and talk appears on the subject but as mr malarky says it's all about that usp...the TV market is much more crowded and harder to crack than any other market Apple has tackled in the past and most modern smart TVs are full of cutting edge tech and gimmicks such as gesture control and TVs you can talk to etc.

Unless Apple could bring something new and ground breaking to the sector I can't really see where they could make any waves in a sector that is dominated by the big electronics firms, even they are struggling to turn a profit from TVs now. With the Apple TV you can make a point for them not needing to make a TV at all as you can already link your iTunes account so I'm not sure it makes any financial sense. Apple enjoys HUGE revenue streams already but the cost of R&D and production for an all conquering TV is substantial even for a company as profit rich as they are and it could be a costly mistake as the TV market has shrunk significantly over the last few years.

It would be interesting to see just what a proper Apple television brought to the market by way of features and usp but if it ever happened I would think it would be a high end device with a price tag to match and not be a competitor to the TV market as it is now, with 4K and OLED just appearing any Apple television would have to do something remarkable to get a market share at the high end part of the market right now. What must be said though is that you can't rule it out and who knows they may come up with something that completely revolutionises TVs as we know them now.

T

theflyingwasp

I hope apple do make a move especially now that oled is on the horizon .a 65 inch oled with built in Mac and Mac wireless keyboard with Apple TV as standard.

It would cost a fortune tho.somebody has to take the crown now that panasonic may be pulling out of the plasma market.

T

theflyingwasp

I dunno,next year would be the perfect tine to try there luck everyone is just starting out with oled and 4k.lets face it a surprise press conference by apple us nothing new only this time it might be for a tv.

daveh75

There's no compelling reason for them to release one or for people to buy one at whatever astronomical price they'll charge ATM.

What is you think Apple can do for the TV market, that others can't exactly? They won't release one just because everyone else is.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Don't really care too much what they announce, as long as it's something interesting and innovative, and not just another set of variants on existing product, designed to fleece fanbois of their money with a pointless upgrade of something they already own and which already works perfectly well for their needs.

Mind you, looking for logic in the 'will they won't they launch a TV' area is perhaps missing the point: perhaps the Apple marketeers have noted the OLED/4K buzz and decided that their fanbois are sufficiently ovine to flock down to the Apple store and buy a new TV just because it's got the blessed logo on it, whatever the cost, whatever the performance. Lock them in now before they buy a new SamsonyLGsonic, and then you've tied them down to another path of incremental 'must haves' in the future :rant:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts