Shock. New amp disappointment

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got our new CA640Av2 today, to go with our MA RS6 and CA 640Cv2 CDP. I should note that this was contrary to Andrews advice to me the other day.

There's loads of detail and the treble is there in abundance. And it sounds sort of easy and loose, which is quite nice. But the bass is wooly and slow. There's no 'attack' or transient qualities there. It sort of just 'moo's away quietly. My better half described it as 'ordinary' and 'somethings missing'. Sounds like me come to think of it...

This is compared to my old (loft recovered) Yamaha AX-400 that I got 20+yrs ago.

Shall I:

a) Weep and beg Richer Sounds to take the amp back

b) Get Roksan Kandy/Cyrus6vs or suchlike.

Or:

c) The 640A will run-in in a few days and sound better (speakers I can see this, but don't understand how on a ss amp).

d) Get better speaker cables (got Richer Sounds cheap, silver stuff) and move speakers about. Don't think this is the way forward 'cos no such complaint with old amp.

Not forgetting:

e) What?! That doesn't sound like the 640A at all - you are being over critical. Relax.

f) The Roksan/Cyrus won't sound significantly different, so don't waste extra money.

g) Get the 2nd hand Music Fidelity A3 and stop worrying about buying 2nd hand.

I need help before I deplete stash of money on stuff I don't like. (Couldn't listen to 640A at RS - and wouldn't be able to listen to 2nd MF either)

thanks...

A

Anonymous

Strangely I'd beg Richer Sounds to take it back and go for "G".

Though if you're quick you're probably within your rights to return it anyway.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, not a bad idea, but IF I wasn't happy with it, I'd spend forever wondering if there's something wrong with it!

Have you any advice on why I might be withing my rights to return it? Might be useful for tomorrow?!

cheers

A

Anonymous

i own the same amp and had the same problem. it will worm up tu u and ull get better bass, but i also did get £60 of cables huge diference much better sound!cant blame the amp for bad sound if u dont run good cable

A

Anonymous

Thats good to know - gonna get a few hours in this evening! How many hours before things improved for you? Mind you, I wouldn't know things like that...

Running cheapo cable at the moment - def need to sort this. Although the bass had more crack to it through my old amp. But I might be kidding myself...

And I might try bi-wiring too... but thats another thread!

Eric Clapton Unplugged sounds jolly nice at the moment though.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

This sounds like my dream system...(relative to budget), I too have the CA640Av2 and CA 640Cv2 CDP, with CA Azur interconnect, recently purchased following advice in the forum. I had a Yammy AX500 and CDX496... the CA gear sounds so much better...
My next upgrade is speakers, high on my list are the MA RS6 !!!...let me know how you get on, with cables,etc...
They should sound really good !!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
If you don't like the sound Richers sound will take it back, no problem. Buy a 2nd hand MF A3 and you will smile like a Tony Blair (all the time!).

A

Anonymous

I would be very careful about partnering the Monitor Audios,personally they aren't my cup of tea,impressive first 5 minutes,but after that I found it too aggressive,over dynamic and in yer face all the time.The Cambridge Audio amps are very good for the price,but if found the lack a bit of grunt,so I'd look at the 740 or 840 amps.

A

Anonymous

Which speakers would you recommend as a shortlist for the CA amp & CD set-up ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
If you don't like the sound Richers sound will take it back, no problem. Buy a 2nd hand MF A3 and you will smile like a Tony Blair (all the time!).

[/quote]

What, in that slightly unnerving 'Bambi caught in the headlights' way, you mean?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]What, in that slightly unnerving 'Bambi caught in the headlights' way, you mean? [/quote]

LOL....The very smile that won him 2 elections and 8 wars under his power!

A

Anonymous

A quick update:

Richer Sounds wouldn't do a straight refund. So I was stuck with CA/Pioneer/Denon. Outcome:

Came away with 740A (groans from audience) with the promise that if I wasnt happy they'd REFUND the difference between the 640A and the 740A, so no further financial risk.

Got home connected it up and we were both VERY sceptical. The wife, especially. Beads of nervous sweat appeared on my brow as I pressed 'play' on the remote.

Wow! The difference was immediate and apparent. The kick is back. Very surprised of the difference between the two.

Richer done £40 of cable for £10 for us too,

So, we're happy but do you think we could have got something better for £500?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="bloney"]Richer Sounds wouldn't do a straight refund[/quote]

That harsh.....my local branch would grant that no problem! Anyway if you like the 740A then why not, top sound for the price.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bloney"]
A quick update:

Richer Sounds wouldn't do a straight refund. So I was stuck with CA/Pioneer/Denon. Outcome:

Came away with 740A (groans from audience) with the promise that if I wasnt happy they'd REFUND the difference between the 640A and the 740A, so no further financial risk.

Got home connected it up and we were both VERY sceptical. The wife, especially. Beads of nervous sweat appeared on my brow as I pressed 'play' on the remote.

Wow! The difference was immediate and apparent. The kick is back. Very surprised of the difference between the two.

Richer done £40 of cable for £10 for us too,

So, we're happy but do you think we could have got something better for £500?
[/quote]

I did say,hehehe,Cambridge is good(for the UK price)no more.no less.

A

Anonymous

Personally I've been impressed by the Revolver RW16,awesome speakers,Epos M12.2,moving up most Totem speakers,but you'd have to see how they match to the Cambridge kit,other amp options to include,Rega,Creek,and the little Rotel 04.

A

Anonymous

I'm more than chuffed with my system now - a situation I really didn't think I'd find myself in! Flaming Lips/Pavement session on at the moment and it sounds better than I've ever heard it before by a margin. And a bit.

Oh - had a bit of spare speaker cable, so when bi-wiring the speakers this evening, I doubled up on the woofers, so three pairs going to each speaker. Is there anything wrong with this? I presume inductance will be reduced and capacitance increased. Can't be arsed to undo it all and try for myself, but someone must have tried this and have an opinion.

Cheers

Bloney

A

Anonymous

did you change your speaker cable in the end ?

I have frequently noticed wayward bass when using silver based speaker cable in the past. I would always be inclined to use a thicker copper cable.

Also, the Cambridge amps are capable of bi-amping thru their A and B speaker outputs, not just bi-wiring.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts