sherwood newcastle RX-4105 adequate for Dali Oberon 5?

OhForPetesSake

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
Hi all,
I've been investigating upgrading my stereo system for the last several months. I'm currently running a 16 year old pair of PSB Alpha B1s through a 16 year old Sherwood Newcastle RX-4105, and they have served me well.

I think I'm going to go with Dali Oberon 5s to replace them, but had some questions about my Amplifier and the pairing of the two.

It goes without saying that I could do much better on the amplifier front. I was initially planning to upgrade it as well, but the oberon's are a bit more than I was initially planning to spend. Therefore, the amplifier upgrade is ideally going to get pushed down the line a bit.

The questions I have are as follows:
  • How much should I worried about the fact that my amp is an 8 ohm amp and the speakers are 6 ohms?
  • When I upgrade, does anyone have any suggestions? I'll be using the speakers for both music as well as tv/movies and will likely want to add in a center channel at some point. Wifi/Bluetooth/USB/Smart homes would all be pluses. I don't need the absolute best but I'm a sucker for bang-for-buck.

Any help is appreciated!

Edit: I live in the states.

Last edited:

OhForPetesSake

Jun 21, 2020
Visit site
It's just that Sherwood and PSB are rare items, or were, in the UK.
I wouldn't be too concerned with the 8ohm and 6ohm bit as the amp should be able to drive these speakers with no issues.
I was curious about the choice of the Dali Oberons though, would not some "home grown" speakers have been cheaper to purchase?

Well, auditioning speakers at the moment is not that possible, and I couldn't find another set of speakers that seemed to be so universally loved anywhere near this price-point. I also like the fact that they're not super picky about positioning (at least from what I read) is appealing as well, because I may only be in my current home for another year or so. The fact that they're european made doesn't seem to have inflated the cost that significantly.

Are there speakers around this pricepoint (or cheaper) that I might be overlooking? I am certainly open to suggestions I listen to pretty much all types of music.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts