SHB Quintessence - First Listen Opinion

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I've been running the Q's for a few weeks now, and still love them. for me, these are keepers, and I can finally stop faffing around with different cables.

Igg and ESP, how have you found them?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
bretty:

I've been running the Q's for a few weeks now, and still love them. for me, these are keepers, and I can finally stop faffing around with different cables.

Igg and ESP, how have you found them?

Due to technical difficulties I have not had a chance to try them properly and compare. I need to discuss with Will. Sorry.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
bretty:That's a shame ESP. Frustrating for you too, I bet. What's up? They a bit short?

I'm guessing that as they look about as easy to bend as steel rebar, may have something to do with it.
emotion-5.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Big Chris:

bretty:That's a shame ESP. Frustrating for you too, I bet. What's up? They a bit short?

I'm guessing that as they look about as easy to bend as steel rebar, may have something to do with it.
emotion-5.gif

emotion-1.gif
I opted for the 0.5m version and also sent off from some bullworkers, so I have to wait for the training to work!
emotion-2.gif

OK, the truth is that the balanced XLRs are just not that. One of them is carrying the signal better than the other. I thought I was hearing things when my soundstage wandered way over to the left, but when I swapped the cables over it went and sat over on the right! I can't see anything wrong anywhere, and it is unique to the Qs. So I will have to return them. Based on recent listening experiences with the Primares (as reported elsewhere) I am wondering whether it really is worth trying again. The Jean Claudes are doing a sterling job for free!

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:
OK, the truth is that the balanced XLRs are just not that. One of them is carrying the signal better than the other. I thought I was hearing things when my soundstage wandered way over to the left, but when I swapped the cables over it went and sat over on the right! I can't see anything wrong anywhere, and it is unique to the Qs. So I will have to return them. Based on recent listening experiences with the Primares (as reported elsewhere) I am wondering whether it really is worth trying again. The Jean Claudes are doing a sterling job for free!

That sounds seriously wrong! usually you either get a full signal or you dont get one at all. To attenuate that much sounds bizarre (Unless it means only one of the signals is getting through in the faulty balanced cable? ~ im not 100% sure how they work)

Either way, not impressed

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:ESP2009:

That sounds seriously wrong! usually you either get a full signal or you dont get one at all. To attenuate that much sounds bizarre (Unless it means only one of the signals is getting through in the faulty balanced cable? ~ im not 100% sure how they work)

Either way, not impressed

Well, we're all human, aren't we? Your good self excluded, I suppose.
emotion-5.gif

I am sure he will readily accept a return and sort things out. Customer service is always a good test.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
ESP2009:
Well, we're all human, aren't we? Your good self excluded, I suppose.
emotion-5.gif

I am sure he will readily accept a return and sort things out. Customer service is always a good test.

I wired up my phonos wrong yesterday
emotion-4.gif

Ive no doubt hell sort the problem out (He has to by law), but im concerned that a product which I assume has supposed to have been PAT tested (It certainly should have been), has made it into your hands faulty (More so in this case, as its not what id class as a 'standard' made product)

Im going to be even more concerned if it turns out to NOT be faulty, as that would mean serious repeatability issues with the product

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

Ive no doubt hell sort the problem out (He has to by law), but im concerned that a product which I assume has supposed to have been PAT tested (It certainly should have been), has made it into your hands faulty (More so in this case, as its not what id class as a 'standard' made product)

Im going to be even more concerned if it turns out to NOT be faulty, as that would mean serious repeatability issues with the product

Of course, there is always the horrible suspicion that I caused the problem whilst trying to get the darned things installed behind the components!
emotion-10.gif
As mentioned earlier in the thread, they are not the most flexible of I/Cs to handle. Yet, they seem sturdy enough as a result. Anyway, we'll see...

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeh! i read that bit...... shame really, I read a few pages on Wigwam (nice place....not) and all it was was bickering so no help at all, i notice you use the said cable, what are your thoughts? what did it replace?

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Mr Beachams, just thought I'd add my bit. I have had SHB Avatars for a couple of years, between CDP & amp, and they finally replaced a Flashback i/c. The Avatars were initially far too bright and "forward", so weren't used for a while, then I bit the bullet, left them to mature, and they've been there since.

There's plenty of fine detail and texture, enough bass for my taste - I listened to Yello "Touch", last night and wondered how much lower the bass would go with a sub. I was tempted by the Quintessence, but wasn't sure - wish I'd tried some. As there's a money back guarantee, you should give them a go, let them mature for a week or two continuously, then send them back if not happy. Perhaps their only down side is their thickness, they need room, and aren't really flexible.

As is frequent advice on this site, let your own ears decide.

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:
Hi, Mr Beachams, just thought I'd add my bit. I have had SHB Avatars for a couple of years, between CDP & amp, and they finally replaced a Flashback i/c. The Avatars were initially far too bright and "forward", so weren't used for a while, then I bit the bullet, left them to mature, and they've been there since.

There's plenty of fine detail and texture, enough bass for my taste - I listened to Yello "Touch", last night and wondered how much lower the bass would go with a sub. I was tempted by the Quintessence, but wasn't sure - wish I'd tried some. As there's a money back guarantee, you should give them a go, let them mature for a week or two continuously, then send them back if not happy. Perhaps their only down side is their thickness, they need room, and aren't really flexible.

As is frequent advice on this site, let your own ears decide.

Thanks for that Geoffrey, I too am an avid 'Yello'' fan ''Baby'' being one of my fave albums....... I have plenty of room behind my kit as i connect my CD direct into the Power amp...... Having to use an old QED connect 1 as the I/C's i used to have left with my old mono's, wish i had never sold my Missing Link Cryo now, that was a good cable.

There seems to be a few small companies offering money back on their cables so as you suggested I will give them a go and let my ears tell me whats best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts