SHB Quintessence - First Listen Opinion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Ask him. I'd be amazed if he can't do one when you consider how he pitches the Q.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
igglebert:Ask him. I'd be amazed if he can't do one when you consider how he pitches the Q.

I might just do that - he seems a helpful and 'can do' kind of chap.

SteveR750

gwynne61:Was using Chord Cobra 2, always felt they cut off deep bass and over smoothed treble. Borrowed Chameleon Silver + and did a comparison against Avatars, initially felt there was little in it, but after a week the SHB suited my system better and I'm still loving the sound.

I have the Cobras and SHB 2nd gen ICs. The latter were brighter, and slightly more airy, but to be hoinest the Cobras were much better in everything from about 100Hz downwards (around bottom E on a standard 6 string guitar)

I can understand why Silver High Breed are reluctant...

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/125184.aspx

For about six months this forum mad on them for some reason
emotion-43.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
I can understand why Silver High Breed are reluctant...

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/125184.aspx

For about six months this forum mad on them for some reason
emotion-43.gif

If they're as good as people purport then what has he got to lose.

Anyway, there's no difference in the sound of interconnects so they will get exactly the same score as every other cable on the planet.

It would save WHF a fortune, they could just have a stock review of cable, just change the name of the product where applicable. Ketan could move on to another, more worthwhile job, perhaps testing washing machines. Then in a few years all the readers of What Washing Machine could say that all washing machines are the same, you could just choose a white one or a silver one.

Job done.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Why pick on a negative example? These cables were raved about on the Forums, and rightly so....Just an eBay purchase from myself to see what all the fuss was about
emotion-21.gif

Did you put it on expenses?

You could have got a Big Mac Meal(TM) with that cash, and still had some over*.

*Big Mac and Meal are registered trademarks of McDonalds Corporation Inc, Chubbyville, Winnipeg, USofA. All rights reserved. unauthorised use of the Big Mac Meal trademarked logos will be punishable by instant weight gain.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:Yes, I put it on expenses
emotion-2.gif
. And I hate McDonalds - have never eaten a Big Mac
emotion-41.gif

Are you mad? Why have a rib of beef when you can have a Big Mac. Same stuff, beef. And you get a special sauce with a Big Mac.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Wow, this could make a brilliant thread: "Which is tastier? A HDMI cable or a Big Mac?" Let the nation decide.
Unfortunately I think that would be a landslide.

Rightly or wrongly.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:EDITED BY MODS - one more post questioning moderation and you're out. Please read the House Rules

EDITED BY MODS - please do not discuss moderation

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I put my Gothams away a few years ago (probably influenced by the WHF review...) got them out a few weeks ago and was very impressed indeed. I think the WHF review was extremely harsh on them.

And yes, they are still made. They're worth a try IMHO.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
a.g.:I put my Gothams away a few years ago (probably influenced by the WHF review...) got them out a few weeks ago and was very impressed indeed. I think the WHF review was extremely harsh on them. And yes, they are still made. They're worth a try IMHO.

I purchased some Gotham balanced XLRs off Fleabay recently for £30 (inc P&P). Sounded great. To my ears they were as near as dammit the same as the much-lauded Jean Claude version and also just as good as a pair over twice the price that I also auditioned. However, to be fair, I've not tried any RCA versions of same.

Based on a few of the foregoing comments, I may shy away from asking Will if he does balanced XLR versions of the Q. My experience of the SHB cables thus far has been that they major in detail and clarity (which I like) but the balance is too far in that direction - I did find that the treble end was just that too forward. But, that said, for the price I believe they are eminently suitable for some systems, with the potential to bring some extra sparkle if needed.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
And, sure enough, I have gone for a pair of 0.5m Qs and hope to get them in time for the anticipated window-of-opportunity at the end of next week. The Sound Police will be away for a couple of nights. Now all I need to do is have a quick word with Music Matters and see what they have for a comparison. We'll then see if Jean Claude reigns supreme.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:And, sure enough, I have gone for a pair of 0.5m Qs and hope to get them in time for the anticipated window-of-opportunity at the end of next week. The Sound Police will be away for a couple of nights. Now all I need to do is have a quick word with Music Matters and see what they have for a comparison. We'll then see if Jean Claude reigns supreme.

I predict the Belgian losing his crown to the Queen Quint!

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
bretty:

ESP2009:And, sure enough, I have gone for a pair of 0.5m Qs and hope to get them in time for the anticipated window-of-opportunity at the end of next week. The Sound Police will be away for a couple of nights. Now all I need to do is have a quick word with Music Matters and see what they have for a comparison. We'll then see if Jean Claude reigns supreme.

I predict the Belgian losing his crown to the Queen Quint!

Ah, predictions! A tricksy subject. I will be interested to discover just how good your crystal ball is.
emotion-1.gif

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
They arrived yesterday. I installed them this morning (with much muttering and a few monor expletives - they're not the most flexible of I/Cs and it's tight behind the system).

Straight out of the box the sound is fine - no obvious changes for good or ill. But I will have to wait until Wednesday before listening to the system properly. At low, partner-friendly, volumes it is difficult to tell what, if any, changes are occurring to the sound.

I will leave the system running in the background over the next few days and see what we get by mid-week.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts