Share your thoughts about your preference

AJM1981

Since every person is different I wonder about about your prefences from a benchmark point of view.

Audioholics are usually going to great extend in improvement but let's try the entry level approach here. Let's try to describe your taste in setup and sound here given real world examples.

For me personally I have two preferences. The main one is that I like a speaker that is balanced, has a great soundstage, is detailed in all ranges, but not that bright. Maybe to summarize, it should have monitoring properties as in an average of what the producer and members of a band intended when they recorded it. But the best reproducted version of that sum of averages.

Given my previous B&W 602/s3 from early 2000s and my current Wharfedale evo 4.2. When I compare them side by side I can enjoy both but notice that there are slight improvements in detail in high and mid with the Wharfedales. The big improvement however is in bass and lower midrange of the latter.

A great benchmark as also used on some online channels is the Jazz track Kiss of Life by Grace Mahya. When listening on the B&W's it sounds like there is detail but it is smoother. The Evo's kind of better kraft in the details of the upright bass making it less smooth which at itself makes it more engaging.

At second preference for a second setup I like illusions and heavy colored speakers. I have thought about getting some horn loaded Klipsch bookshelves. Unfortunately these times given corona restrictions in retail it is difficult to really test gear somewhere and I am not a fan of ordering something online only for testing purposes.

Last edited:

AJM1981

I think the problem with trying to answer this question is that the terms are all too subjective. 'Natural' is about the best word I can use to describe what I like, but what sounds natural to me won't necessarily sound the same to another's ears.

I agree with this.

Also in searching for a kind of speaker I would probably search for
a speaker that would go well with the dynamics of a room.

Gray

.....I like illusions and heavy colored speakers. I have thought about getting some horn loaded

Reactions: AJM1981

insider9

1. Makes me tap my feet
2. Brings a smile to my face.

I don't bother with technical stuff. Music is about enjoyment.
Same here! Groove and emotion. That's what it is about. I want whatever emotional journey the artist intended, which won't make you smile all of the time. But that in itself makes me smile.

Everything else is irrelevant. I'd be happier listening to mono poor quality recordings that move me (not that I don't) then wonderfully produced, detailed, wide sounding emotional void.

Friesiansam

I primarily listen to progressive and alternative rock, so I want gear that does a good job of that first and foremost. For me that means extended, though not over-emphasised bass and a strong punch and drive. My present setup gives me that, together with plenty of detail and clarity. I dislike a more clinical approach, as it sounds boring to me.

iMark

We have such a broad taste in music and also use the stereo for watching TV so we want speakers that will will work with almost any type of content. I have found speakers 20 years ago that sound good with everything we throw at them: Infinity Overture 1.
They're an interesting design because they each got a 150W built in subwoofer.

Our speakers sound fine with classical music, jazz, rock, movies with explosions, dialogue etc. I hope they will last for many years to come.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I really do not like to change the balance on an stereo amp and I like every style of music so I like my hi fi separates to sound as natural as possible. I don't do setups that sound bright or coloured. I tend to find "fun" systems to overpowered in certain areas and that can cloud certain styles of music. The trouble is that if an album sounds badly produced then it sounds awful on the hi fi separates I like (and some albums I really like do) but I'll just have to expect that for music listening bliss.

Balance can only be achieved, regardless of how good an individual component is, by how it interacts with the rest of your system... or synergy.

What doesn't get mentioned too often on forums is how good a system is at idling or low volumes. My bundles are adept at this. For a reasonably affordable set-up the imaging and bass grip is fabulous. Yet at no time do you think it's getting bright or harsh.

Although fairly neutral in presentation the sound makes you feel warm and cozy -- it hugs you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts