Sevenoaks???

A

Anonymous

I think I read somewhere that this branch was closed down - if my memory serves me well.

matthewpiano

Kind of gathered that. I always thought Preston might struggle to support 3 hi-fi shops. Its just a shame as it reduces choice. Ultimately, apart from Practical Hi-Fi in Blackpool, Preston's hi-fi provision supports quite a wide geographical region.

Am more interested in whether anyone knows anything about Sight & Sound. Looks like quite a basic re-fit of the shop's exterior but haven't had time to go in yet. Is it part of another chain?

A

Anonymous

I believe it is. Nothing came up on Google - probably a new set-up.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:Drove down Lune Street in Preston today and noticed that Sevenoaks has gone and the shop is now called 'Sight and Sound'. Does anyone know anything about it?

Hadnt realised you lived in Preston MP :)

Small world! I live in Walton le Dale...

Anyways... The Sevenoaks was a franchise from what i know and the guys who had it now own Sight & Sound; i assume its their own business!

It was quite annoying to find out actually as my GF's parents have a Cyrus 6v2 and CD6 that went looney for some reason; they were purchased in Feb this year. I took them back for them to get them sent to Cyrus to see what had gone wrong and when my GF's mother called Sevenoaks to get an update; they were no longer there and had to deal with the Manchester branch!

Ive not been into Sight & Sound yet; will be going in next week i think as want to have a nosey at some other speakers for my system; poss a 2nd system for the bedroom!

A

Anonymous

Anyone know what the deal is with Sevenoaks and stocking Rotel and B&W kit? I went in to the Aberdeen store and the guy said that they don't stock B&W or Rotel because they don't have a good relationship with them.

They have both brands on their website tho. Has anyone else come across this?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Sevenoaks stock Rotel and B&W as a core product (B&W distribute Rotel in this country) and is generally kept by all Sevenoaks stores. The problem arises when some manufacturers/distributors don't like having too many dealers so close together. So you'll find that a company that generally keeps those brands might not stock them in a specific store because another dealer down the road keeps them (although B&W seem to change the rule on how close a dealer can be to suit themselves). With this practice, they don't really make themselves any friends.

matthewpiano

Yeah I live in Leyland/Euxton. Work in Preston. Small world indeed!!

Think I might have a nosey into Sight and Sound as well if I feel disciplined enough to come out without spending any money. I've got my system to a great point now and don't want the hi-fi hobby bug to take over and spoil it!

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
My sentiments exactly MP...

A fried has recently bought some B&W 683s to partner his Arcam Alpha 10 integrated, power amp and CD92 CDP and they sound stonking!

They have exactly the sound i love and to be honest, sound better then my RS6's

Im toying with the idea of going in soon but im also on the verge of buying a new car so that may put me off for a bit haha...

mickeyjoef

Sep 10, 2008
Visit site
Me and the Mrs heard the 683s when we went into Sight And Sound a couple of weeks ago for our new system, and was really impressed with the sound of them, but we also heard the B&W CM7 and that was even better. Tight bass, better imaging, and a much sweeter treble,and the wife reckoned they looked nicer! so we ended up buying the complete CM surround package with a Yam RXV3800 and a PV1 sub. The guys in the shop were really helpful when we were choosing the system, and gave great service to us, which we needed as we havent bought an A/V set up before and were a bit out of touch with whats out there, as I've always been a 2 channel guy until now.

One of the guys came out and installed and set-up the system for free and even calibrated our Samsung LCD, even though we hadnt bought it from them, and now the whole system looks and sounds fantastic. The beach landing on Private Ryan now makes our lounge sound like a war zone

While he was fitting the system the guy from sight and sound was telling me about their new website which I found here www.sightandsounduk.com and very nice it looks.

Next purchase a Blu-ray player of some kind, either the one of the new Pioneers, or Yamaha to match the amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts