setup help please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
my system consists of the following, Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, Onkyo DS-A1K ipod dock, KEF 2000 Series speaker system with Kube2 sub and B&W 602 S3's for the full 7.1, However i'm using my PS3 as a BlueRay player and CD player. For the £200-£300(each) mark is it worth me upgrading to seperate players, Will there be any noticible difference or should i stick with the ps3?

Also, when watching Movies via Sky hd, what is the best setting for the receiver, i assume it will not detect the best for that movie by itself?

i know its the wrong forum but I would like to add a turntable to my setup at some point (ebay), is the Rega p2 as good as i'm being told or should I go for technics 1210, apart from the obvious is there any other difference to sound quality?

cheers

nick

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Assuming you're also running an optical cable from the Sky box to the receiver to carry 5.1-channel sound, you can set the Onkyo to detect Dolby Digital when available, and default to whatever you want - I quite like Dolby PLIIx Music - for non-5.1 content

A

Anonymous

Are you still able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 sound when watching Sky HD if you were to run the optical cable from the TV to the receiver?

A

Anonymous

no, but i have know. will i have to set up the onkyo to do this automaticly? or will it sort it out without the need for my bumbling? first time i've used a forum and amazed by the quick response!!! thank you.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If everything on the Onkyo is set at default values as far as decoding modes, the optical is running from the Sky HD direct to the Onkyo and that optical input assigned to the same source selection as the HDMI (if the HDMI from the Sky box is connected to the amp, not straight to the TV), then yes, it should all happen automatically.

Assuming the Sky box is set to output DD, that is...

A

Anonymous

super stuff, better get the instructions out!!

cheers, nick

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
I would stick to your PS3, you need to spend £300 or more to notice any big improvements, wait and see what the new crop of players are like. As a must the Sony 760 and Denon 2500, would be the least i would go for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts