Setup for Spotify, an overkill?

shy10ck

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Is this setup (that I am planning to buy) an overkill, for listening to Spotify, through an IPad?

AMP: Rega Brio-R

DAC: Rega DAC-R

Speakers: B&W 685 S2

Not at all.i use Spotify with my gear through amazon ftv box and it sounds fab.it all depends on how good the master recording is don't read to much into it just being 320kbs,it's still decently useful as a listening source and I think dynamic range suffers most of all,but that's just me and I could just be looking for something to criticise.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
shy10ck said:
Is this setup (that I am planning to buy) an overkill, for listening to Spotify, through an IPad?

How are you planning to get the signal from the iPad to the Rega Dac?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you only plan to listen to Spotify, then I think a couple of Sonos Play:1 s or similar would be OK. Not sure where you want to be on the HiFi ladder or how loud you want to go?

rymidd

Feb 24, 2010
Visit site
shy10ck said:

no i use roskan m2 amp and eb acoustics eb1 and rega dac (and spoty fi is my only source at the monent)

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
rymidd said:
shy10ck said:

Spotify is quite cheap and very convenient. Not quite up to CD or lossless files (it's a bit softer and a little less dynamic) - but certainly very livable with.

tonky
no i use roskan m2 amp and eb acoustics eb1 and rega dac (and spoty fi is my only source at the monent)

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
rymidd said:
shy10ck said:

Spotify is quite cheap and very convenient. Not quite up to CD or lossless files (it's a bit softer and a little less dynamic) - but certainly very livable with.

tonky

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
shy10ck said:

How are you planning to get the signal from the iPad to the Rega Dac?

Well, he'll need to plug in an Airport Express (£79) to the DAC using a mini-optical - Toslink cable (and with ethernet to his wireless router) and do it via AirPlay.

I guess that's implicit given that there is no way to plug in an iOS device using it's standard Lightning - USB lead on the Rega.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
shy10ck said:
Why cant I just use the USB on the Rega DAC and wire directly to the IPad?

The Rega DAC-R would need an Apple compatible USB A input to connect iOS devices this way. It only has USB B for connection to PCs and Laptops and suchlike.

You can see what I mean with the USB A connection on the back of my amp (last input on the right just before the mains input) ...

clicky

(Plus it charges as well.)

The arcam ir dac will accept an i device directly plugged into USB,but I'd suggest getting a hold of a last gen amazon fire tv box and using Spotify connect through it(assuming you have a TV in the same room as your hifi)not that the TV has to be on all the time.the box just needs to be connected to it.this is my own solution at the moment,also chromecast audio is another way of getting Spotify to the dac I believe.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
The arcam ir dac will accept an i device directly plugged into USB,but I'd suggest getting a hold of a last gen amazon fire tv box and using Spotify connect through it(assuming you have a TV in the same room as your hifi)not that the TV has to be on all the time.the box just needs to be connected to it.this is my own solution at the moment,also chromecast audio is another way of getting Spotify to the dac I believe.

I would suggest the Chromecast Audio. I am using it through a Rega DAC and it is very good, Use the ipad as a remote control for Spotify connect. You would need to get an optical lead which is mini toslink to toslink such as this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisual-Install-Mini-Toslink-Optical-Cable/dp/B003NT6RDO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456867756&sr=8-2&keywords=mini+toslink+to+optical

TRENDING THREADS