Setting up Denon Amp for improved sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a Cambridge Audio 751 Blu ray Player to go with Denon 4310 av amp

Shop suggested to me that I would benefit musically from using analogue cables for sound instead of HDMI for both video and audio.

Would like to give it a try so borrowed some cables from my neighbour.

But i don't know how to set it up .
I have plugged the cables into the Blu Ray Player and the analogue connectors on the amp but how do i force it to use them rather than take the signal from the HDMI cable?

They told me it would be self explanatory in my setting menu.

But i can't seem to find a relevant section ,

Really appreciate any help or guidance

michael hoy

Hi,

Have you tried the extract below in the manual.

"Multi-channel analogue audio to Receiver
If the player is connected to an A/V receiver through the 7.1ch or 5.1ch
analogue audio jacks using 8 or 6 RCA/Phono cables, you can still play
all the supported audio formats and let the 751BD decode them and then
listen them via your A/V receiver and surround-sound system. The
following audio format setup options are recommended:
Secondary Audio: Off (or On if you need secondary audio)
HDMI Audio: Off
SACD Output: PCM (DSD is not available through the
analog audio output)
HDCD Decoding: On
Coaxial Optical Output: (any – not in use)
LPCM Rate Limit: (any – not in use)
Also set Speaker Configuration in the "Audio Processing" menu:
Set Down Mix to "7.1Ch" or "5.1Ch".
Set the speaker size and subwoofer properly according to your actual
audio hardware as detailed on the following pages.
Enable or select the multi-channel analog inputs on your receiver."

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this , i may not have explained my problem well enough.

My issue was changing the Amp from receiving the signal via HDMI to analogue.

I found the solution eventually in the setup menu under inputs . It had to be changed from HDMi to analogue , in a diferent section to input assign , which was why i coyuldn't find it ,

A

Anonymous

Thanks for this , i may not have explained my problem well enough.

My issue was changing the Amp from receiving the signal via HDMI to analogue.

I found the solution eventually in the setup menu under inputs . It had to be changed from HDMi to analogue , in a diferent section to input assign , which was why i coyuldn't find it ,

wireman

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
clanpitt said:
Shop suggested to me that I would benefit musically from using analogue cables for sound instead of HDMI for both video and audio.

Now you've figured out how to do it, I'd be interested to know if you think it does sound any better?

A

Anonymous

I was really impressed by improvement in quality .

Through the HDMI , the sound could get a little glassy and hard sounding when played loud or when a complicated piece of music was used . This was especially noticeble on vocals .

The cables i borrowed (thanks Pete) were the "thro away" type that come with a video recorder but they were still an improvement over my £30 HDMI cable.

I have now bought 3 x £20 moster cables and there is a huge leap in quality from the HDMI. almost like haviung upgraded my Cambridge Player.

There were some films where i found it difficult to hear the speech (i.e. saving private Ryan , unstoppable) now it is much clearer.

But the real icing on the cake is music and music DVD's. I listen to a lot of SACD's and whilest they were pretty good in the original set up things could get a bit muddled at times but now it is like being in the studio. I am hearing instruments and basslines i never knew existed.

lead vocals are totally controled by the centre speaker and guitars and drums etc held by the fronts.

backing vocals and additional instrumentation on choruses etc are well balnced in the rears.

If you listen to ***** Chateau by Elton John the mix is absolutley brilliant for an album of its age. Rocket Man has a meletron line i have never heard before either in a stereo set up or my original HDMI.

So yes i'm really pleased .

i'm now wondering how much more headroom there is available and whether i should have purchased even better cables :doh:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts