Setting up an an amp, ps3, sky hd and plasma together

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Denon AVR, PS3, Sky HD and a Pioneer plasma TV (with 1 hdmi) in my set up. I want to hook up the TV, PS3 and Sky HD to run through my Denon amp but it has no hdmi and only 1 optical connection. I had it all hooked up nicely with a DVD player in the mix, but I've subsequently taken it out as part of a house move as I plan to play DVDs on my PS3 now and I can't work out how to hook the remaining items back together with out the DVD player... any ideas?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK, well the 1906 actually has two optical inputs, so I'd run an HDMI from the Sky box to the TV's HDMI input, with an optical digital cabel to the Denone for audio, and a component video connection from the PS3 to the TV's component input, again with an optical digital connection from the PS3 to the Denon. Job done - you'll have to change input on both TV and receiver when you change sources, but apart from that, that's all there is to it.

A

Anonymous

Won't that restrict the audio output to SD quality only?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rich25571 said:
Won't that restrict the audio output to SD quality only?

Yes, but that's all the AVR-1906 does – it has no provision for the HD versions of Dolby Digital or DTS. The only way round this would be to switch to playing Blu-ray instead of DVD, and invest in a BD player able to decode onboard and output multichannel analogue, which can then be fed in through the Denon's 5.1-channel analogue in. Sky only uses standard Dolby Digital or PCM.

A

Anonymous

Could you clarify by what you mean by 'you'll have to change input on both TV and receiver when you change sources'

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
rich25571 said:
Could you clarify by what you mean by 'you'll have to change input on both TV and receiver when you change sources'

Well, the Sky box video will be going in through HDMI, and the PS3's video via component, so you'll have to change from one input to the other when you switch from watching TV (via Sky) and watchig DVDs on the PS3. Similarly, the audio from Sky and the PS3 2ill be on two separate inputs, so you'll have to switch those, too, when changing from TV to DVD and vice versa.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts