Set up of Sony Bravia and Humax Recorder - how can I do it?

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I have bought a Sony Bravia and want to link my Humax tv recorder to it, but I am having problems with the different cables to set it up.

Basically, in the photo the white cable on the far left is the roof aerial that goes into the Humax, and then the black cable next to it plugs into the tv (there is also a HDMI cable plugged in but I don't know it is actually doing anything). The problem is that with this setup, the Humax needs to be "on" or there will be no tv channels shown (also as this is a recorder, the set up could cause issues regarding watching a channel and recording another).

Is there another way to organise the way the cables are setup / is there a way to get TV progs on the Sony without having the Humax switched on?

Thanks

242827367_1535349596799182_3209198895566495842_n.jpg

Gray

You could split the aerial signal two ways, giving one output to the Humax and the other to the TV.
Both would still get the signal they need without the Humax needing to be powered in any way.
Humax would still need to (at least) be standby powered to do timer recordings (or record different to what you're watching) of course.
A cheap passive splitter may be enough.
(In a weak signal area the splitter might need its own power supply - which would defeat your object).
You may need to fit 'F' plugs (or use appropriate adaptors) on the aerial cables.

I leave my Humax box completely unpowered.....as I don' t use it much, others don't bother about leaving things constantly powered.
I've even fitted an easily accessible mains switch to my washing machine - which I measured and found to be consuming a few watts, even when 'off'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Portoman

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Okay su
You could split the aerial signal two ways, giving one output to the Humax and the other to the TV.
Both would still get the signal they need without the Humax needing to be powered in any way.
Humax would still need to (at least) be standby powered to do timer recordings (or record different to what you're watching) of course.
A cheap passive splitter may be enough.
(In a weak signal area the splitter might need its own power supply - which would defeat your object).
You may need to fit 'F' plugs (or use appropriate adaptors) on the aerial cables.

I leave my Humax box completely unpowered.....as I don' t use it much, others don't bother about leaving things constantly powered.
I've even fitted an easily accessible mains switch to my washing machine - which I measured and found to be consuming a few watts, even when 'off'.

Okay so would the splitter go where the aerial is connected in the Humax or somewhere else (in the TV?)? If I put in the Humax, wouldn't it still need to be on though for the signal to get through?

Gray

Okay su

Okay so would the splitter go where the aerial is connected in the Humax or somewhere else (in the TV?)? If I put in the Humax, wouldn't it still need to be on though for the signal to get through?
This is a passive type:
Aerial in, out to TV and Humax.
No need for Humax to be powered at all for TV to get its signal.

Last edited:

abacus

Leaving the PVR on is no problem (It’s the only way to get channels to the TV without a splitter) however you need to switch on the Ariel pass-through feature in in the Humax menu system for it to work.

Bill

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Leaving the PVR on is no problem (It’s the only way to get channels to the TV without a splitter) however you need to switch on the Ariel pass-through feature in in the Humax menu system for it to work.

Bill

Bill, could you explain more about this feature - I've never heard of it. Thanks.

abacus

HI Portoman

With Humax it normally comes under Settings Antenna, however it can also come under Settings Power and you have to disable deep sleep (Or similar) to allow the pass-through to work. (Best to check in the manual if you are not sure, also make sure you have updated to the latest firmware as bugs do occur)

Bill

Tinman1952

the Humax needs to be "on" or there will be no tv channels shown (also as this is a recorder, the set up could cause issues regarding watching a channel and recording another).
This is not correct. The Humax will still do timer recordings even in standby mode. It also doesn’t stop you watching another channel as you have more than one tuner……read the manual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts