Set up advice

kkbc

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
Evening all,

Been out of touch of audio tech for probably over 20 years now.

I have 2 x Technics 1210's in the loft and a load of vinyl. I've no space to get these set up like i used to..

I'm keen to bring one turntable down and connect to an amp and some speakers. I'd also like to connect my laptop to the amp to play music through also.

I'm looking for some set up/equipment recommendations - nothing really high-end, just a breakdown of what i'll need and some of the best places to source - doesn't have to be new.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum! Are you saying you currently have no amplifiers or speakers to try?

If you know what you’re after, then careful selection from eBay , perhaps from a dealer rather than an individual, would be a thrifty way to buy. Otherwise, make a trip to your nearest Richens Sounds, Sevenoaks, Audio T, or other reputable Hifi dealer.

There are thousands of reviews on the main WHF site, which you can reach by clicking the red logo above.

If you suggest a budget, and the type of speakers, size of room etc., you might get some suggestions here.

Reactions: rainsoothe

kkbc

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum! Are you saying you currently have no amplifiers or speakers to try?

If you know what you’re after, then careful selection from eBay , perhaps from a dealer rather than an individual, would be a thrifty way to buy. Otherwise, make a trip to your nearest Richens Sounds, Sevenoaks, Audio T, or other reputable Hifi dealer.

There are thousands of reviews on the main WHF site, which you can reach by clicking the red logo above.

If you suggest a budget, and the type of speakers, size of room etc., you might get some suggestions here.

Thanks for the reply. Been having a look at some reviews and the Onkyo A-9010
keeps cropping up (within budget).

Question I have is can I connect my laptop to this also? Or do I need an amp with DAC? I'm sure I've seen a convertor that connects to the headphone jack to the amp?

I currently have no amp or speakers. There is an old mixing deck lurking about but as i say - not been used for 2 decades!

This amp is in budget - would be looking at spending around £200 on speakers.

So cheap and cheerful I guess.

Gray

'Cheap and cheerful' you say?
If you want decent enough sound all-in for less than £240:
Dig out the mixer (shouldn't matter that it's old - 2 decades is nothing) to use its phono stage.
Then put its output through this:
Into these speakers (on offer for £210.88 until 18th of this month):
(Buy and use one of their £60 gift cards and you'll get another £6 off)
Here's the WHF review of the speakers:

You'd probably be better off with a USB DAC (for less than £100) , but you could connect the laptop's headphone output to a line input on that mixer of yours - the adaptor / lead depends on your mixer's input (possibly 6.35mm stereo jack?)

Alternatively, this sort of lead would go from your laptop's headphone jack to a line input on that Onkyo:

P.S. The little Lepy amp may not look much good, forget how it looks or hide it away.
(I've bought 3 of them so far).

Last edited:

kkbc

Oct 3, 2021
Visit site
Thanks all for your helpful replies.

I've gone for the amp set up. Bought one of these off ebay - Onkyo A-9010.
Looking at adding some wharfedale diamond 220 to these ( unless anyone has any other recommendations in that price range).

Toying with the idea of adding a DAC to the laptop but in no rush for it really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts