Separates Vs All-in-One advice please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Howdy Comrades

I've been looking into getting a new home cinema system for over 6 months now and thought I had decided on the following set up:
Samsung LE40F86Onkyo 875Kef 3005SEPS3
Sonos wireless system

Having priced it up however, I'm now considering an all-in-one solution instead of the Kefs and Onkyo (I don't have a particularly large lounge and as an average Joe, am not even sure I have particularly discriminating audio/visual senses!).

My questions are as follows:

1. Assuming the all-in-one solution has a HDMI input, is it possible for me to connect all my HD devices to it via a HDMI switcher so that the all-in-one product deals with all my inputs (e.g. ps3, Sky box etc)?

2. What home cinema in a box would you recommend in the sub-£1,000 range?

3. Will the difference in sound/visuals output by the Kefs/Onkyo be staggeringly better than an all-in-one solution to an average person?

I think this is similar to getting cold feet before a wedding so would appreciate any advice!

Amar

A

Anonymous

....any thoughts at all appreciated
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Why did you settle on the the £1000 875? Do you need the power and up-scaling? (I guess not judging by your post). Why not a 605 at £400?

Personally I'd get a 605, the remaining £600 buys you plenty of speaker choices.

A

Anonymous

Hi Eddie

I can get the 875 for £850 as part of a package deal and am attracted by the upscaling which should improve SD picture quailty. Also, the extra 2 HDMI inputs will be useful for various accessories. I think there's too much power in the 875 for my current needs but if I move house in a year or so to a bigger place (wishful thinking
emotion-5.gif
) it may come in useful. I'm hoping that system would last at least a few years.

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't have thought the 40" TV would need an external 875 up-scaler. I'd also be very surprised if you needed more than 90w per channel that the 605 gives you. Don't forget your TV has two spare HDMI's and you could always go for the 3xHDMI's on the 705.

What I am saying is that if you are now thinking of down-scaling your plans to an all-in-one, then you can probably still get a very good amp and speaker package for around the same but A LOT cheaper than what you were initially going to buy. The amp will be more flexible in future than the all-in-one.

Your first post showed that you were unsure about spending so much and a down-scaled plan of spending £1,000 can buy you a very good amp and speakers.

I've owned a Sony 5.1 amp for years and believe me, 100w per channel is way louder than your neighbours want it to be.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm, I see your point. That's given me plenty of food for thought - thanks very much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts