Separate recommendations at entry level. Yamaha, Marantz, Rotel?

groovemachine

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, Wondering if you could offer some of your expert advice to a first time buyer of separates? :) I'd say my budget is £1,200 tops at the moment and I would maybe consider buying second hand to get more for my money. Amplifiers:- So far I've tried the Yamaha AS500 and the Rotel RA 05 SE and I am going to demo the Marantz PM6004 this week. The first one I tried was the Rotel at the recommendation of the shop and I did find it clear, warm and rounded. It was connected to a Rotel rcd 06 se and Monitor Audio Bronze BX5 speakers. In comparison, the Yamaha didn't seem to have the power and it was more digital sounding than the warmer sounding Rotel. Is there anything else I should be looking to try out? Also, is there much difference between the Marantz PM6003 and Pm6004? If I liked the Marantz I'd be inclined to pick up the PM6003 in the sale. Cd players:- Is it best to go with the matching brand cd player or are there good combinations out there that work well together? Speakers: - Considering Monitor Audio BX5, Tannoy V4 and Mision Mx3? Turntable: Only really looked at the Project stuff and Rega which was recommended by the shop. Im open to any ideas or views on these. Cheers! Andrew

A

Anonymous

I agree with MP's comments

The NAD C326BEE integrated is a superb amp but so is the Rotel RA04SE

The Brio-R is also a superb amp and that, coupled with maybe the likes of the NAD C545BEE or Marantz 6003/6004CDP and some Monitor Audio BX2 or BX5 speakers; you'd have a cracking system!

Speaker cable and interconnects, ideally, need to be good to cope with a few future upgrades etc... The likes of the Chord Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable & the Chord CrimsonPlus interconnects would be bang on!

However, I have to ask; do you HAVE to have brand new seperates or would you maybe consider a decent 2nd hand amp or CD player (and even speakers) as for your budget; you could get hell of a system!

IMO an Arcam DiVA A85, Arcam Alpha 10, NAD C352 (PD version) or C355BEE integrated amp matched with an Arcam DiVa CD72, CD73 or a Rega Apollo CD player and some good Monitor Audio RS6 or B&W 684 speakers would be a fantastic system

groovemachine

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

Thanks for the information. Very helpful again.

I don't have to buy brand new and am open to buying second hand. I tested the new Marantz today which was very good and a lot better than the Yamaha as-500. Aftrewards though, we reconnected the Rotel ra-05se and the sound was much better in my opinion. The trebles and mids were smooth and the lows were focused so im leaning towards a Rotel rig at the moment.

However, if I could try out some of the recommendations you've made then maybe things will change :)

Cheers again,

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts