Separate DAC or integrated Stereo Amp solution?

walvis

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I am currently running a system consisting of an Yamaha AS 500 amp, a Pro-Ject turntable and dedicated Pro-Ject phono stage as well as an Apple TV and TV connected to a small 29 quid Lindy/PNY DAC bought off Amazon. Music sources vary from an iMac with my main library to various i devices connecting through the Apple TV.

I now came across the Yamaha R-N500 which to me seems like a networked AS 500 plus two optical ins. My first instinct was to replace the AS 500 and save the two little DACs with the benefit of hopefully getting a better DAC and saving to little boxes needing a power connection each.

I wonder whether this is really the ideal option - for one I could not find any serious reviews on the R N500 and secondly, no information on the quality of the DAC seems to be available as well. So I just wonder if getting a decent stand alone DAC unit such as the Arcam irdac would be smarter. I have never looked into DACs specifically and wonder whether there are a) any recommendations that would fit into the price bracket of the r n500 (350-450 GBP) or whether going with the r n 500 is indeed the best option after all.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts