Sennheisser HD800 or Grado 1000s - demo

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have an idea where I can find a pair of HD800s or the Grado 1000s on demo? I've recently moved from Manchester to Winchester and don't fancy having to travel into London (however, I'm willing to go if it is the nearest place I can try them). I currently have a set of 650s and the Black Cube Linear. I love the sound as I can listen to my music at the level I enjoy (difficult to crank the volume up on the speakers due to neighbours). I want to know if an upgrade to either of the headphones above is worth the substantial cost increase (mind you, there might be something else available), but am unwilling to buy them blind.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I'm back in Manchester next Thursday. I'll give them a phone tomorrow. Getting a bit excited now, so I hope this isn't a red herring.....if they do have a set and they're as good as everyone has been saying the wife may be in for some bad news! Looks like the loft extension may have to wait a few more months.

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Pete, I got in touch with Audio T Manchester, and they do have the HD800s in, so thanks for the info. Booked in for a listen on Fri. Can't wait. I'm taking my HD650s along, and the Lehmann so I can gauge the difference. After all the hype I've read I'm hoping for some dramatic results. Mind you, they'd best be mindblowing given the asking price!

Pete Shields

Sep 23, 2008
Visit site
My dealings with Audio T in manchester have been very good. I'm sure that they'll look after you. I'm looking at upgrading to HD650's when cash next available, so would be interested in your thoughts compared to the higher spec models. Enjoy your day on Friday!

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Pete,

I had an hour on the HD800s yesterday. I took my HD650s along, as I could connect both to my Lehmann amp and that way could measure them against each other. I've read a lot of websites about the 800s, and as well as a lot of hyperbole, there also seem to be a lot of people having a dig at them, so I was definitely open minded before the audition. I took my own CDs along, and I listen to Kraftwerk, early Human League, Lou Reed, Grandaddy, Joy Division, Leftfield, Nick Cave and a bit of Kate Bush (good for vocals).

Straight away is the fit, they are unbelievably comfortable. The soundstage is awesome. Amazingly, my 650s sounded 'muffled' and constrained by comparison. However, I was expecting this, due to the fact that they retail at £1k. They dig out an amazing amount of detail. I would get something on the 800s, then switch to the 650s to find out if they were also digging out the detail. On most occasions the 650s did dig out the detail, however I had to listen for it, but with the 800s it was not a matter of listening for it, the detail was just there. I have read that they are not especially good at bass (or that other headphones do it better), but I thought the bass was excellent. When I switched to the 650s, it felt like they were trying too hard (if you get what I mean) and the bass felt woolly. This is from a pair of headphones that I love. I was told that the earpieces (probably not the right word) on the 800s are angled so that you don't get that headphone sound that everything is inside your head. Well, I didn't get that at all, and at no point did I feel the music was in front of me, like you get with speakers.

One thing that must be taken into account is the amount of leakage. I wear my 650s in the front room when the wife is watching tv, and although they leak, she is able to turn the tv up, and I get away with it. The 800s leak like a government minister! If the volume was up to any respectable standard, then anyone else in the vicinity will get a very good earful of what you are listening to.

Are they really more than 3 times as good as the 650s (as a price comparison, Sennheisser obviously think so)? I would say no, but they are beautiful, and the amount of detail they dig up, and the soundstage are beyond anything I've heard before. All things are relative, and if you are willing to pay £1k for them, then they are worth it. I'm considering buying a pair, but need to butter the wife up! I will also be selling the 650s as I'm not going to start collecting open backed headphones.......the dosh will also go a little way to paying for the 800s.

A

Anonymous

I agree with most of what's been said above, but something I've found is that the HD800s don't do timing and dynamics all that well. They tend to suck the toe-tappingness out of certain recordings. If you can cope with the harsh Grado earpads and their annoying cable (which I always find gets twisted and pulls too much), forget the Sennheisers.

I'm assuming you mean the GS1000s, not PS1000s, by the way... Because if it's the PS1000s you're considering, don't even give it a second thought - they are simply outstanding.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i've had the ps1000s for over a month now and they are really, really good - i never compared them to the gs1000s so can't comment and although the are light years ahead of the senn hd650 i used to own they are a very different sound - the senns are to me a very flat responce accurate but dull to listen to for long periods the grados are very forward with loads of detail and a very easy listen - i picked mine up as ex display with a graham slee solo and mains pack or £1400

malg

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
Just for info, there is a pair of HD800s on ebay right now. Bidding is currently £450, but the reserve has not been met. Don't what I'll do myself. To be perfectly honest, the HD800s were good, but sitting back now and thinking about the demo, I wasn't as blown away as I thought I might be...........decisions, decisions

TRENDING THREADS