Seeking advice

Beshan

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I am looking to build a budget hi-fi and I need an advice from you guys. This will be my first hi-fi so I am completely new to this. As I have previously mentioned it has to be a budget one.

I've read quite few reviews about speakers and amps. I am tempted to get Wharfdale 9.1 speakers as I read very good reviews about them.

I have no knowledge about amps whatsoever, I've checked few CA ones but I don't know if it's the way to go.

I listen to wide range of music but mostly it's something bass-heavy (drum and bass, hardcore, dubstep,breaks etc.) and I've seen few people mentioning that 9.1s are not the best choice for bassheads.

I am hoping you can shed some light on those for me. I know it's pathetic for a hi-fi but budget would be about 200-300 pounds.

Cheers!

T

the record spot

Hi, welcome to the forum Beshan. I think you've a couple of options. Go secondhand, but from a reputable dealer. Get some active speakers which combine amplifiers in the speaker housing, Places like the Used Hifi Shop often get some great gear in, service it and sell it on for a nice price that would suit your budget. They currently have a Technics SU-V660 for £95 for instance, there is of course Ebay but caveat emptor. Lastly, active speakers like the KRK Rokit RP6, Tannoy Reveal 501A or the 601A if you can get them for your price (you may well do) would be good.

There's no selling allowed on this site, but I have an amp I'd be happy to sell on to you, in near mint condition and well powerful. Harman HK6850. 95 wpc, excellent current, built like a tank and heaps of inputs. Let me know if you're interested and we can take it from there.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
There is no selling allowed on this site....but I'm going to try and sell something anyway. :shame:

p.s. buy my amp on ebay, only £125 - excellent condition, DAC and phono stage built in.

Beshan

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your responses!

I've checked your Harman out. It looks like a right beast. My only concerns are that I will need a DAC (Won't I?) and will that amp not be a bit of overkill for 9.1s? Unless of course I decide to go with different speakers.

I've also checked both Krk and Tannoys. They seem pretty reasonable buy BUT they are considered to be studio monitors. I know that their are far from professional top notch monitors but won't they sound flat ish? Also Tannoys have same models as passive speakers. Will it be worth getting passives plus amp or it would not make that much of a difference?

@makka not sure whether it was sarcasm or not. If not you could share atleast model name! :grin:

Cheers!

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Beshan said:
Thanks for your responses!

I've checked your Harman out. It looks like a right beast. My only concerns are that I will need a DAC (Won't I?) and will that amp not be a bit of overkill for 9.1s? Unless of course I decide to go with different speakers.

I've also checked both Krk and Tannoys. They seem pretty reasonable buy BUT they are considered to be studio monitors. I know that their are far from professional top notch monitors but won't they sound flat ish? Also Tannoys have same models as passive speakers. Will it be worth getting passives plus amp or it would not make that much of a difference?

@makka not sure whether it was sarcasm or not. If not you could share atleast model name! :grin:

Cheers!

It's OK pal, this'll stop any further intrusion.

:Makka Pakka,
Akka Wakka,
Mikka Makka moo!

Makka Pakka,
Appa yakka,
Ikka akka, ooo!

Hum dum,
Agga pang,
Ing, ang, ooo!

Makka Pakka,
Akka wakka, Mikka Makka moo! :coda:

TRENDING THREADS