Seeking advice on replacement CDP for old(ish) system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Just signed up to get some advice. After a good few years of not being settled. I’ve finally got a place and have dug up the hifi – which is quite old but has got me all enthused about listening to music again. However, a few things need attention.

The system is.
  • Pre-Amp: Rotel 971
  • Power Amps: 2 x Rote RB960
  • CDP: Arcam Alpha 8 (broken)
  • Record Deck: Projekt 1.5 (I think – not great, but at the time I needed a cheap deck to listen to vinyl)
  • Speakers: Tannoy Revolution 3
So the CDP is first port of call. I’m pretty certain the DAC is fritzed as the last time I used it I was able to use an external DAC and it worked – but it has been sat around in a box for 6 years or so.

My options as I see it:
  • Repair ~£140 – I’ve seen another thread with an 8SE where the opinion was the kit was old enough that the repair wasn’t economical sense.
  • Get a DAC – OK, so this could be good. I have a fair amount of digital music now, so it could be used for a digital music source also.
  • Buy a replacement
So the last. I’ve not quite got the freedom to spend that I had 15 year ago so a bargain would be good – either a good new player that would suit, or something second hand wouldn’t be out of the question.

I’ve not really been keep abreast of changes in kit – the previous thread I mentioned seemed to imply that a new ‘budget’ priced player would likely match the Alpha 8 sonically – is this true? I don’t really know where I stand with the system as whole to be honest. I always used to try and stick to the spending equal amount on amps, source and speakers – but how does advances in technology affect that.

Musically my tastes are quite broad. Listen to a lot of electronica and techno, but also pop music (quite electronic though), some blues, punk and rock/metal (usually quite stripped down and raw stuff).

Any suggestions about the above or the system in general – much appreciated.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Unusually for me I'm going to vote for a dac. If the transport in the cdp still works it'll do nicely with a dac and you've got the dac for other sources.
I probably missed it but I'm not seeing any figure for your budget.

A

Anonymous

a good used marantz cd-63 MKII K1 sig can be had for under £120

a Rotel RCD-965BX can be had for under £100

there are loads and am sure you will get many suggestions

A

Anonymous

Budget is tricky - I'd want to keep it to around £200-250...

But I don't know could go for more.

A

Anonymous

£200-£250 will most prob get you a 'reasonable' new or ex-demo cdp (if you prefer newer)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Rob, your system is still pretty decent and was quite a sort after set up back in the day. The R3 speakers and Rotel power amps still cut it even today's standard. Good luck with the hunt
emotion-21.gif

Grobelaar:Hi all

Just signed up to get some advice. After a good few years of not being settled. I've finally got a place and have dug up the hifi - which is quite old but has got me all enthused about listening to music again. However, a few things need attention.

The system is.

• Pre-Amp: Rotel 971
  • Power Amps: 2 x Rote RB960
  • CDP: Arcam Alpha 8 (broken)
  • Record Deck: Projekt 1.5 (I think - not great, but at the time I needed a cheap deck to listen to vinyl)
  • Speakers: Tannoy Revolution 3
So the CDP is first port of call. I'm pretty certain the DAC is fritzed as the last time I used it I was able to use an external DAC and it worked - but it has been sat around in a box for 6 years or so.

My options as I see it:

• Repair ~£140 - I've seen another thread with an 8SE where the opinion was the kit was old enough that the repair wasn't economical sense.
  • Get a DAC - OK, so this could be good. I have a fair amount of digital music now, so it could be used for a digital music source also.
  • Buy a replacement

So the last. I've not quite got the freedom to spend that I had 15 year ago so a bargain would be good - either a good new player that would suit, or something second hand wouldn't be out of the question.

I've not really been keep abreast of changes in kit - the previous thread I mentioned seemed to imply that a new 'budget' priced player would likely match the Alpha 8 sonically - is this true? I don't really know where I stand with the system as whole to be honest. I always used to try and stick to the spending equal amount on amps, source and speakers - but how does advances in technology affect that.

Musically my tastes are quite broad. Listen to a lot of electronica and techno, but also pop music (quite electronic though), some blues, punk and rock/metal (usually quite stripped down and raw stuff).

Any suggestions about the above or the system in general - much appreciated.

I would edge towards a DAC also. However, if you like the Arcam sound you can pick up CD73T from ebay for about 200 notes. Traditionally, Arcam and Rotel marry well together.

A

Anonymous

thanks for the pointers. think I'm erring toward a replacement of some description. The DAC could be worth investigating - but the downside is I just remembered the Alpha 8 was starting to skip loads when it was last in use - so it might not be in that good nick full-stop... Maybe me and Arcam don't get on - the 8 was an insurance replacement for a 6 which got repairably damaged in a lightning strike.

one more thing a work colleague is trying to interest me in a Cairn FOG 1 (WITHOUT the upsampling upgrade).

Good player? Can't find much about it without the upgrade - any idea on 2nd hand value?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts