Securing speakers to stands

Cloodie

Jul 11, 2020
Visit site
I've just purchased my first stands and some new speakers as well. Very much at the budget end of the scale as I'm just starting out. Having built the stands I'm now curious what people use to secure the speakers to them. They came with gel pads but they are only sticky on one side (the side that I've attached them to the stand with). I've had a quick google search and people seem to recommend using blue tack. What's the opinions of the forum?

I've just purchased my first stands and some new speakers as well. Very much at the budget end of the scale as I'm just starting out. Having built the stands I'm now curious what people use to secure the speakers to them. They came with gel pads but they are only sticky on one side (the side that I've attached them to the stand with). I've had a quick google search and people seem to recommend using blue tack. What's the opinions of the forum?
You should just sit them on top of those gel pads however if you think there are unstable and likely to get knocked off then yes, I would remove pads and use Blutack.
Just be very careful when you come to remove speakers from the stands in future if you do this. :cool:

D

Deleted member 188516

If you use Blu-Tak or white Tak be careful as it can take off the vaneer if you want to replace them. My advice is use one of the Taks but don't push the speaker down - just let gravity do it for you. It's less likely to damage the speaker.

when removing speakers from blutach i was advised to twist the speaker as opposed to lifting straight up.

to do this however would require someone holding the speaker stands and someone gripping the speaker.

when removing speakers from blutach i was advised to twist the speaker as opposed to lifting straight up.

to do this however would require someone holding the speaker stands and someone gripping the speaker.
That's issue. You need to have several arms and feet to remove'em safely. But I didn't put any excess weight down when I placed my PMCs, I just let nature or gravity do it for me. It won't guarantee to not damage the vaneer but certainly cuts the risk.

I’ve happily used blutak on vinyl-wrapped speakers, but I’d too be cautious with real wood grains. The gel pads should offer enough grip, unless you have boisterous pets or children, in which case an electrified fence might help!

Gray

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
I have always used blue tack.

And then a twisting motion to remove speaker from the stand. Use your feet to secure the stands whilst you twist the speaker.

Blue tack is very secure. In my last property, my cat jumped up on top of my speakers. I shooed her off, as she jumped off, she kicked the speakers back, the speaker and the stands rocked backwards and dented the wall behind. We are talking about 25kg plus of speaker and stand!!! (Partington ultima and dynaudio excite x 16s!)

Reactions: Al ears
I have always used blue tack.

And then a twisting motion to remove speaker from the stand. Use your feet to secure the stands whilst you twist the speaker.

Blue tack is very secure. In my last property, my cat jumped up on top of my speakers. I shooed her off, as she jumped off, she kicked the speakers back, the speaker and the stands rocked backwards and dented the wall behind. We are talking about 25kg plus of speaker and stand!!! (Partington ultima and dynaudio excite x 16s!)
That's one strong cat....... does it have stripes? :)

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
To be fair I've changed the stands now anyway.

They are even heavier now, I have the partington heavys, abouts 35kg each! They arent going anywhere! One of the reasons I changed them was because we have a baby now!

Reactions: Al ears

Dinamo

Jul 4, 2020
Visit site
Use bluetack. I wouldn't trust the gel pads.
Roll a blob of blue tack into a ball and place on the corners of the stands. Then push your speakers into them.

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Nice one. The broadsides are good stands. I've had the range (dreadnoughts, ultima and heavy). The only ones I didn't try are the broadsides.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts