Secondhand amp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

andrewknight:Andrew Everard:

andrewknight:Ah beautiful! I had a pair of Sandwiches years ago .

If it was a quadrophonic system, it would have been a round of Sandwiches.

Don't worry, already got it...

1077-1-900.jpg

Oh Pooh!

Looks more like Paddington than Pooh!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Strictly IMO, I'd have an A-400 or a KI any day...

Thanks Andrew. I'll trust your opinion and cross them off my list. Now it's just a waiting game!

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
nibbo:andrewknight:Andrew Everard:

andrewknight:Ah beautiful! I had a pair of Sandwiches years ago .

If it was a quadrophonic system, it would have been a round of Sandwiches.

Don't worry, already got it...

1077-1-900.jpg

Oh Pooh!

Looks more like Paddington than Pooh!

Whoops! I was only bear-ly wrong.

A

Anonymous

if you can afford £275 there is an excellent pioneer SA 9800 amp that has just been listed on ebay (bargain)

ebay item number 110438293338

please note: this does not belong to me or anyone I know! ... just thought I'd mention as the OP was interested in a good amp

A

Anonymous

OOPs .... sorry guys ... was nice to my wife, and she said I could buy it

A

Anonymous

dim_span:OOPs .... sorry guys ... was nice to my wife, and she said I could buy it

Lucky man.... maybe I should change tactics. I'll be looking out for an A400 on ebay then
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Just out of interest, what would I be looking at brand new these days as an equivalent to the marantz pm6010Ki and Pioneer A400?

T

the record spot

For the KI, you'd be looking at the 7003 and possibly the 8003 amp, however a more direct comparison would have been the PM7001 KI, which is a rather dynamic amp (John Duncan has or had one and rated it some).

It would be unfair to compare with the 8003 as I think it leans on an internal spec that draws more from the company's higher end kit than a reworking of the lower-priced model (as was the case with most of their KI amps of the last decade).

Pioneer - not sure - sorry!

A

Anonymous

nibbo:Just out of interest, what would I be looking at brand new these days as an equivalent to the marantz pm6010Ki and Pioneer A400?

as i mentioned in one of my posts i did demo several new amps to my original A400. The amps i demoed were the Arcam A28, Cyrus 8VS2 and Naim 5i. Whilst some of these amps improved on the level of detail the A400 had they could not match it in terms of all round performance. The Naim came the closest but when i took it home it didnt have any synergy with my system and i didnt really get on with it in general.

also, to confirm what andrew said before, i also owned an arcam alpha 8 and its not a patch on the A400.

now hurry up and buy one!!!

ps. anyone worried about the capacitors in their A400, you can replace them for about £30 with top notch Mundorf Mylitic Si Caps. This will bring your amp back to life and as far as i can tell it doesnt alter the sound too much - certainly not in any detrimental way.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for everyones help. Just ordered an A400 from Green Home Electronics. All fully checked out and in immaculate condition with a 90 day warranty. I've even managed to get my old Marantz CD63 SE back from my Dad. Just going to order some Merlin Mozart interconnects (only £28, special offer on Merlin's website!) and some Chord carnival silverscreen ready for Wednesday when it arrives.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

nibbo:Thanks for everyones help. Just ordered an A400 from Green Home Electronics. All fully checked out and in immaculate condition with a 90 day warranty. I've even managed to get my old Marantz CD63 SE back from my Dad. Just going to order some Merlin Mozart interconnects (only £28, special offer on Merlin's website!) and some Chord carnival silverscreen ready for Wednesday when it arrives.
emotion-2.gif

well done! ... keep us informed! ... I am well pleased witj my A400 (it is my second one) .... just upgraded my main system to a different amp and will still keep my vurrent A400 and set up a bedroom system with it

A

Anonymous

OOPS ... plenty typo's in my last post

(plenty beer = plenty typing errors)

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone!

I'm about to replace my present amp (CA A1mk3). Last couple of weeks I spent on forums looking for some good amp up to £150 and to be honest its caused only headache:) In first place I put on my list Rotel 9.. series, then I read about Audiolab 8000 and HK 655vxi (unfortunately not on ebay) and now I saw that topic and Pioneer A400. What do you think about my list? I'm listen to rock and metal mostly but sometimes I like to listen to jazz or Dead Can Dance for example. I'm looking for matching CD player as well. I've got Mission M71i speakers but I'm thinking about Monitor Audio BR2 or Usher S-520.

Thank for any help

Michal

PS I'm really sorry for my english:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts