Second room system with DAB?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I've been trying for ages to find a sub £500 micro/mini system to put in my bedroom to compliment my wall mounted 23" Panasonic LCD which a) plays CDs & DVDs, and b) has a DAB radio. So far I've been unable to find anything that does both?!

I haven't got room or budget for a separates system... Can anyone suggest anything?

Mike

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Check out TEAC's DR-H3000DAB (£330) - the DVD replay isn't the very best, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue on a 23in set, and the CD and radio sound is excellent for the money.

There are deals to be had -like this one- but shop around for a multiregion-enabled version if you want to play US etc discs, too.

It doesn't come with speakers, so depending on what you have to spend, add anything from Tannoy's Mercury F1's (£110) to Monitor Audio's Bronze BR2s (£200).

A

Anonymous

Thanks Clare,

that's very useful advice, and a nice looking bit of kit too - maybe in silver for me. Although I may be compromising sound quality, I really need a smaller set of speakers - can you suggest anything in the £100 to £200 price bracket?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
How small is small? Both these are small standmount designs....

Slightly smaller - but still a five-star product - are the Q Acoustics 1010 (£100). Also smaller and a four-star product (but that's for the money - they'd probably take the Qs) are the Highland Audio Aingel 320Ls at £170.

Dimensions of both (and all the speakers we've tested) in our Buyer's Guide every month.

A

Anonymous

Hello again,

Well - very dissappointed with the TEAC DR-H300DAB-S. The DAB receiver circuitry must be really weak as I cannot get a DAB signal at all. I know I'm in a poor DAB signal area but I've tried 2 types of antenna in a multitude of locations and have eventually given up. I've now bought a Denon TU1800-DAB which works well on an omni-directional dipole antenna - the TEAC couldn't detect a single station with this set up!)

Also, while I'm moaning about it, I found the sound very bassy at low volumes and the controls not too easy to use...

Anyway, my dilemma is now what to do with it? I bought it in September (I've been patient trying the different antennas, etc) but now am outside of any period of return with Empire Direct. Should I just e-bay it??

Here's to 2008 and wireless internet radio for me!!

Gyp

Dec 17, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Mike15471"]

Well - very dissappointed with the TEAC DR-H300DAB-S. The DAB receiver circuitry must be really weak as I cannot get a DAB signal at all. I know I'm in a poor DAB signal area but I've tried 2 types of antenna in a multitude of locations and have eventually given up. I've now bought a Denon TU1800-DAB which works well on an omni-directional dipole antenna - the TEAC couldn't detect a single station with this set up!)

Also, while I'm moaning about it, I found the sound very bassy at low volumes and the controls not too easy to use...
[/quote]

That's unfortunate, as I've found I can get a strong clear DAB signal with the standard antenna connected but still coiled up with it's elastic band.

I agree with what you say about the bass; I've found it a little bass heavy which is why I'm searching for small but neutral speakers to partner it.

[quote user="Mike15471"]
Anyway, my dilemma is now what to do with it? I bought it in September (I've been patient trying the different antennas, etc) but now am outside of any period of return with Empire Direct. Should I just e-bay it??

Here's to 2008 and wireless internet radio for me!!
[/quote]

If it's any consolation, the new price of them is holding up well. It would be a real pain if it was the box that everyone was discounting

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts