Second hand carts.

I've been a scowering eBay for the last few days looking for a lightly used cartridge to add to my small collection.

I bagged a goldring Elektra for 24 quid, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Ive never had one before, has anyone ever used one? Just wondering what I can expect?

K

keeper of the quays

bigfish786 said:
I've been a scowering eBay for the last few days looking for a lightly used cartridge to add to my small collection. 

I bagged a goldring Elektra for 24 quid, and I'm looking forward to trying it out. 

Ive never had one before, has anyone ever used one? Just wondering what I can expect? 
I have no wish to rain on your eBay parade! But it's worth checking the tip for any damage? A way to do this is to use your new 'old' cart on the first track of a little liked lp..then go back to your other cart and see how it sounds? Bit of a faff! Just to be safe..i wouldn't buy a pre loved cart unless I knew its provenance.

I know that there is always risk involved in buying used, but if the stylus is not as described, then it gets returned. Buyer protection on eBay is pretty good these days. After buying some used vinyl on there only to discover it sounded like crap, I got refunded on it all.

Id just like to have a few options when it comes to carts, it only takes a few mins to change them on my arm, so to me, it's worth having a selection. Hopefully, thus will help them last a bit longer.

bigfish786 said:
I know that there is always risk involved in buying used, but if the stylus is not as described, then it gets returned. Buyer protection on eBay is pretty good these days. After buying some used vinyl on there only to discover it sounded like crap, I got refunded on it all.

Id just like to have a few options when it comes to carts, it only takes a few mins to change them on my arm, so to me, it's worth having a selection. Hopefully, thus will help them last a bit longer.

If you are going to chance your arm I would up your budget and aim for something a bit better than the Electra. Personally I am very dubious of description used in a lot of cases . Having said that it might be worth doing for the cartridge itself if you have the intention of replacing the stylus with a new one.

Also I would stop at two decent cartridges, using one as a backup in case of disasters ( yes, I have a had a couple) :)

Just got home from work, and the Goldring Elektra had arrived. I've put it straight to work and I am very impressed with it. I know I have lucked out a bit regarding the condition, but it is definitely a keeper.

its very punchy. Is the first thing I'd say about it. Perfect for metal.

bigfish786 said:

Why? Why use a sub-£100 cart on a £1500 TT?

If you're going for old look at Goldring G800. Had that for years (19802-90s). Superb VFM cart.

Just experimenting with different carts. Seeing what is out there. It was 24 quid well spent. I think if a cart and stylus are well designed and built they could sound good no matter what the cost.

My turntable may be able to bring out the best of a budget cart, so why miss out?

Theres a definite possibility that I will be trying another goldring cart a bit further up the performance scale, based on my limited experience, they may be the favoured house sound for metal and rock music.

The more I learn from my experiences, the more helpful I can be to other people who are new to hifi etc. It's all good fun, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

K

keeper of the quays

bigfish786 said:
Just experimenting with different carts. Seeing what is out there. It was 24 quid well spent. I think if a cart and stylus are well designed and built they could sound good no matter what the cost. 

My turntable may be able to bring out the best of a budget cart, so why miss out? 

Theres a definite possibility that I will be trying another goldring cart a bit further up the performance scale, based on my limited experience, they may be the favoured house sound for metal and rock music. 

The more I learn from my experiences, the more helpful I can be to other people who are new to hifi etc. It's all good fun, and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. 

I agree..you have a good turntable and it will bring out the best in any cartridge..i have a cheap cart on my Linn...its fine! If you have a cheap turntable like a rega? Putting on a decent cart won't make much difference..i would add if your serious about vinyl? Get a quality turntable soon as you can..you will hear what your missing immediately!

D

Deleted member 108165

Hey bigfish, as I have you to thank for introducing me to the TT15-S1 save your pennies mate and when you can afford it grab an MP300/500 at some stage. You will not be disappointed. Those Nags are terrific cartridges.

DougK said:
Hey bigfish, as I have you to thank for introducing me to the TT15-S1 save your pennies mate and when you can afford it grab an MP300/500 at some stage. You will not be disappointed. Those Nags are terrific cartridges.

i do already have a nagaoka cart, a TS12, which I rate very highly. I also want it to last as long as possible too. So, having a few other options makes good sense to me, especially when they sound so good. :)

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
PP, its a good way to try a different, a friend of mine bought a job lot of MCs off HiFi WigWam for £150 we have had a right old time trying them all out - they were all different - obviuosly most are at the end of there life and included an AT33 PTG - lovely, then a Decca Gold that was nice too.

There is a 2nd hand Lyra Delos ( 10 hours on it ) on there for £700, you could try it if you liked it happy days - if not move it on you will more or less get your money back.

At least you get an idea of the different presentations.

However | do share your view about a £100 cart on a £1500 deck.

stevebrock said:
PP, its a good way to try a different, a friend of mine bought a job lot of MCs off HiFi WigWam for £150 we have had a right old time trying them all out - they were all different - obviuosly most are at the end of there life and included an AT33 PTG - lovely, then a Decca Gold that was nice too.

There is a 2nd hand Lyra Delos ( 10 hours on it ) on there for £700, you could try it if you liked it happy days - if not move it on you will more or less get your money back.

At least you get an idea of the different presentations.

However | do share your view about a £100 cart on a £1500 deck.

Not a bad price for the Delos which was difficult to find at one point. Be aware though they can be a little 'bright' in the wrong system and will need a good preamp. To my mind at this price level a better all round bet is a new Benz Micro Glider SL. Just personal experience here you understand, the Delos is brilliant in the right system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts