Second hand amp reccomendations

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i have around 110 pounds to spend on a 2ch amp to drive my Warfedale Diamond 10.1's using a Pioneer PL-200 as my main source so a phone stage built in is a big plus

I have been trawling ebay but I have no idea what to look out for, whats a good buy in this price range?

Sam.

T

the record spot

Do yourself a favour and check out a good Sansui AU-217. Nothing at the price, or several quid above it, to touch one. Good phono stage onboard as well, so a solid recommendation. I still have mine and it's one of the best amps I've heard full stop. Expect to pay less than £50 - used kit's best kept secret.

Here's a link to the amp, part of Sansui's "17" series of the late 1970s. Find one in good nick (pretty easy I think) and you'll be laughing.

http://www.classicsansui.net/images/Literature/Integrated%20Amplifiers/AU-117-AU-317/AU-117-317%207.jpg

EDIT: It's rated at 30wpc, so, depending on the Wharfeys sensitivity (most likely somewhere between 86-89db) your amp could be quite happy driving them - the higher the sensitivity rating, the easier the speaker is to drive, hence it'll go louder if you need that. And 30 watts is a bit on the lean side, that range typically were pretty conservatively rated, so probably nearer 35-40 watts per channel.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, cant seem to find one on ebay or google, could you recommend a good place to look for one?

Sam.

T

the record spot

Ebay, usually - if not the 217, then the 317, 417....the whole range is good. By the time you get up to the 717, you'll be handing over around £150-200. There is a 317 on there just now, but the seller's got it on a ridiculous BIN price of £199. Should be £60-80 tops. Try Gumtree too, which has an improved search facility and it's a great place to pick up a good bargain.

T

the record spot

And - assuming you're in the UK - there is a 217 on there just now. Item number - 290448225305 current price £7.50 and less than a day left on it.

EDIT: Forget that - it's collect in person only, which is no good, unless you're in London.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Of course their's always mums and dads favourite...the Pioneer A400/A400X, OK it may not have the best phono stage but it is not bad by any means and its great with CD.
emotion-2.gif

One on fleabay for £100 BIN or best offer, I'm even tempted to buy it as a back up!

A

Anonymous

...and depending on how far back you will go, there are some beautiful silver Pioneers to be had. I've owned anSA-506 and currently have an SA-7500 II stacked away. Both of them still sound very good, even compared to today's amps, and are built like tanks. I'm not sure about the prices in Britain, but with your budget you're probably looking at SA-8500 and upwards. Authorative and impressive sounding amps.

Jack

A

Anonymous

Awsome news chaps, grabbed a Pioneer A400 GTE Tom Evans mod in a local paper for one hundred notes :D

Any idea how to check if its genuine?

Sam.

A

Anonymous

Am going to upgrade my Arcam A85 and P85 (bought '03) and wonder what I should ask for them. Am on the Isle of Wight so don't expect anyone to come here from afar to collect - or should I?

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts