Seagate NAS slowing down network

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have just bought a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Home but it is slowing down my network at home. I have backed up my Mac to it and did this with the ethernet cable as it was going to take over a day with Wi-Fi, but now that is done whenever I or anyone else at home tries to browse the internet, pages take forever to load up or won't load at all, I have a Netgear DGND3300 wirless router. Is this symptomatic of having a NAS as part of the my set-up or I have got a bad NAS drive ?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you have an ip conflict on your network.

Manually set the ip address of the GoFlex to be an address not in use by anything else.

Scissor_digits

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
At the risk of stating the obvious having you tried temporarily switching your NAS off and seeing what happens?

Also if you have your NAS plugged directly into your router I would suggest buying a 4 or 5 port switch, connecting your NAS to the switch and then the switch to your router. If you do get a switch with Gigabit ports then make sure you buy a Cat6 ethernet cable to connect NAS to switch.

I have a Netgear DGN2000 router and a Netgear GS605 switch with my NAS connected to the switch and I don't see any performance issues.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Page 70-71 of the user manual (Server Preferences Settings -> LAN Connection)

You should only need to change the last number of the ip address.

for example - if its currently 192.168.1.10 - you would change it to 192.168.1.123 (or whatever is not used by another device on your network).

As to the other fields, the mask shouldn't need changing, and the gateway address is the ip address of your router.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Scissor_digits, disconnected it and the performance went back to how is used to be, so I know that the NAS is doing something to the performance.

Apologies if this a daft question but What will the gigabit switch do ?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
A gigabit switch would allow devices connecting into it to connect at 1Gb/s (1000Mb/s)

Your router only has 100Mbit ports.

So if you just plug the switch into your router, and all other devices into the switch - those devices could communicate to each other at full gigabit.

This is not the cause of your problem (though its still worth doing for the above reason). A 5-port Gigabit switch is about £15

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
AnotherJoe, just checking the IP addresses and I have 3 connections currently all under different IP addresses ending in .2 (netgear range extender), .4(Macbook) & .11(Seagate NAS) so there doesn't look like a conflict

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Check the ip address of the router as well.

With the symptom of the internet loading slowly - or not at all - it suggests that it is conflicting with the router, or has changed the gateway.

In theory it shouldnt happen as the router should assign unique ips.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
AnotherJoe, I have checked the router and they match, I have just unselected the automaticall select IP address in the NAS LAN setting and inputted a manual one, rebooted the NAS and rebooted the router and speeds have picked up, not to old levels but they are usable, I might try picking up a cheap gigabit switch to see if that helps. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If your internet is still slower than before check the DNS server in the router still matches the primary given to you by your isp.

It is possible that the NAS may have changed it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts