Screen bars on blu-ray

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:This is, quite frankly, an extraordinary conversation. I personally would like publishers to make all books the same size so they fit on my IKEA Billy bookcase.

But what about those of us with the latest widescreen IKEA Billy bookcase? We get annoying gaps at the end of each shelf.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As mentioned by others here, a projector is the only way to go for those who really appreciate their movies.

And as for black bars, they don't bother me. I want to see the film in it's original ratio, even if it is 4:3. These directors have transferred a vision in their head to the big screen, and have chosen the ratio they think best illustrates their vision.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
tvmog:
JohnDuncan:This is, quite frankly, an extraordinary conversation. I personally would like publishers to make all books the same size so they fit on my IKEA Billy bookcase.

But what about those of us with the latest widescreen IKEA Billy bookcase? We get annoying gaps at the end of each shelf.

I think you need to either
1. Stick to TV programs.
2. Use one of the available zoom functions, and sacrifice part of the picture and/or get a distorted picture.
3. Buy a projector.
4. Watch it as was intended, and get used to the bars.

Cinema won't (and never should) change for the sake of the shape of a TV...In the end most films are intended for the cinema first and foremost.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:Cinema won't (and never should) change for the sake of the shape of a TV...In the end most films are intended for the cinema first and foremost.

Though interestingly, the 'threat' of TV was a contributory factor for movie-makers changing to the widescreen formats in the 1950s. They wanted to tempt people back into cinemas with the promise of "Cinemascope!" et al...

180px-Therobe1.jpg

A

Anonymous

fr0g:tvmog:

1. Stick to TV programs.
2. Use one of the available zoom functions, and sacrifice part of the picture and/or get a distorted picture.
3. Buy a projector.

Cinema won't (and never should) change for the sake of the shape of a TV...In the end most films are intended for the cinema first and foremost.

But what about the probs with the panoramic Billy bookcase ? I was soo flumaxed that I had to build my own av shelf and matching bookcase. Still got the gaps though !!

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
The Experience of watching a Movie at the Cinema or on a Home set up are very differant but for Me when I purchase a DVD or BluRay I want it to be as the Director intended, so if it was shot at 2.35:1 or even 4:3 that is how I personally wish to watch it at Home.

A Movie that was shot in 2.35:1 has to be cropped by a fair amount to "FIT" a 16:9 screen and this can have very mixed results especially when 2 charecters are in conversation but a distance apart on screen, the results of cropping are either 1 charector is completly lost of screen or say half of each head is lost, Even More so when it given the PAN AND SCAN treatment which totally ruins a Movie.

I for one am firmly in the LEAVE THE BLACK BARS ALONE camp.
emotion-21.gif

Monder

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
1. Stick to TV programs.
A: I like films too

A: They look rubbish

3. Buy a projector.
A: I don't have space for one of these

A: This is what I will have to do, I didn't understand the implications of all this when I started this thread. I just think it is a shame that TV's and their broadcasts were not alligned with cinematic productions years back. I realise now that it is too late for any of that.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
fr0g:Cinema won't (and never should) change for the sake of the shape of a TV...In the end most films are intended for the cinema first and foremost.

Though interestingly, the 'threat' of TV was a contributory factor for movie-makers changing to the widescreen formats in the 1950s. They wanted to tempt people back into cinemas with the promise of "Cinemascope!" et al...

180px-Therobe1.jpg

Brilliant grasp of cinema history. I remember studying how 'cinemascope' was perceived to be the biggest step in film exhibition since colour. Some cinemas even fitted huge curved screen to give more vivid experience. In 1955, The Cobweb starring the great Richard Widmark was released in an aspect ratio of 2.55:1!!

In the early days of television, the studios refused to have their films shown on television. They were scared of the effect that it would have on the theatres - and with just cause. Eventually they relented and the rest is history. It's funny how we've come full circle now with people demanding that films should be filmed to fit to fit their tv screens. To me this is ignorance of a great artform. Theatrical exhibition isn't dead. In fact there are more actual 'screens' than ever due to the proliferation of the modern multiplex. If you can make a film that is a truly quality cinematic experience (The Dark Knight springs to mind), you can get people off their sofas.

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I used to fall asleep during some of my European Cinema screenings, sometimes snoring when the lecturer was sitting right in front of me. Didn't go down well. Wasn't my fault - the auditorium was hot and Fellini's films go on for ages.....oh well.

A

Anonymous

Both of my local cinemas have recently taken the step of leaving a number of ceiling lights switched on during the screening. For me this completely ruined the film. It was bright enough to read a newspaper should I have been so inclined. When I asked the management about it I was told that the lights were now left for "health and safety reasons" !!! I queried this and was then told that they needed to be left switched on in case of fire etc so that people would be less likely to be trapped.

I'm afraid that for me that was the final straw. No more cinema trips at all.
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

I much prefer to see the black bars and therefore see the picture as intended, rather than having the picture stretched or cut to fit.
I remember laughing at a friend of mine who was absolutely adamant that his new telly could make a 4:3 picture fit on his 16:9 screen so cunningly that it was impossible to tell it was stretched, he was quite upset when I pointed out that it made everyone in 'stenders and corrie looked like they'd eaten too many pies and then been smacked on the head by a shovel.

TRENDING THREADS