Scalford Hifi show - anyone else going?

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
As in the subject

Yes - I've not long got back - A bit of a maze that hotel. Very nice people - it raised money for cancer research - so a great cause.

I'll try to report a bit about some of the systems that stood out (for me) a bit later.

cheers tonky

insider9

Just driving back. What a day!

Sorry Tonky, I've not seen any replies so assumed I was the only one going. Would've been nice to meet up. Did you enjoy?

I'll post some thoughts when I get back.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Lots to see and hear - not enough time! Missed listening to some kits. It was a bit of a maze finding some of the upstairs demo rooms.

Scalford is for enthususiasts - it's not A/B comparisons - bake offs - double blind listening. - It's very nice people/enthusiasts showing /talking about music and their systems - and being very helpful with it.

You listen to a complete set up - so it is hard to be specific about a single item of kit. I noticed many people taking pics of the equipment (some of it looked very impressive) - I didn't take any - so none to post, sadly.

For starters - 2 systems I really enjoyed (amongst many) .

ijrussell room, DiDiT DAC, Vitus SS-010 amp in class A mode, Graham Audio LS5/9 speakers. The speakers just disappeared in the room and all strands of the music were explicitly clear. No over emphasis to any part of the music - effortless control throughout. - A lot of money for this lot - but a huge amount of aural pleasure too.

Next - Spider room. 3 Vinyl decks, Acoustic Signature Challenger, alphason arm Ortofon cart, LP12 Ittock/OC9, Garrard 401 with mods on a very nice home made plinth. Gamma Reference 211 18W integrated valve amp with Royd Sintra Mk1 speakers.

A lovely sound - presented by very friendly people - some great LPs played Frankie Goes to Hollywood . Tears for Fears , Christians etc. An excellent coherent sound - beautiful music - The Royds - tiny speakers - such a large spacious sound. - lovely!

Cheers tonky

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Flak Monkey (Sarah?) with the diy Mosfet amp - I stayed there a while - they were playing some good stuff. It was a bit loud tho (but very clear and transparent) and some music was a little harsh (to me) - very nice people running it

I also liked Oldius and son's system. Nakamichi CA7/PA7 into JBL 4312B Control Monitors - Deep dynamic controlled bass and spacious, clear soundstage - the fairly small room probably didn't do it full justice. He was playing some "swamp rock" (my description!) didn't know who it was - great sounding music in that system tho!

Listened to eddie-baby's Naim Supernait into Epos m5i - I did like that. Be interesting as I think my own Naim Unitilite and Epos es14 speakers would show up well in comparison. (inmho!)

Greybeard had an interesting system - Oppo Sonica DAC - a pair of Behringer AS500 amps into DIY speakers - active crossover KEF B200 and Viva D27TG tweeters. Inexpensive POWERFUL amplification.

And I sold a surplus to requirements amp - (rega brio R) sad to see it go - great sound. Didn't sell the cambridge 840A v2 tho - fleabay methinks for that one.

cheers tonky

insider9

Yes, it was Flak Monkey and a little loud but stayed there quite a bit. Would you believe she also brought a sub but wouldn't even run it. Must say I'll be looking out for a pair of AE2s now.

The Naim / Epos sounded also very good. Slight rounded off at the top I felt but good. I was there at a time where he was running it through Chord DAVE dac. I don't have a reference how it would sound with a different dac but it sounded very good but wasn't blown away considering price of DAVE dac. Makes you realise how much more important other components are before you a dac of this level can make a difference. We put some Melody Gardot and it sounded very good indeed.

Everyone's done a great job considering how difficult it must've been to setup in some rooms.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Oldius imported those JBL 4312B's from America. He targeted that model specifically and it took him a while before he found the ones that he bought.

insider9

The show was more than I expected in just about every way.

To start with everyone was very welcoming and friendly. Some of the rooms made me feel great about my system. Before going I was genuinely worried I might end up with a serioys case of upgraditis. But it's not the case.

There were systems and ideas of how I'd want to progress that I'd never be otherwise brave enough to or wouldn't even know that's the way I'll ultimately go.

insider9

Agreed, not enough time. I've not even managed to visit the rooms you mentioned, Tonky.

All together great experience. People with DIY everything from turntables to speakers, amps, dac, software you name it. Expensive and inexpensive systems.

There were a couple of highlights for me.

First one was a pair of renovated Kef Concord speakers (circa 1978) with a pc streamer and Sony AV receiver. I think it was all put together for less than £400. Really good sound for a little outlay.

Acoustic Energy AE2 speakers were superb. Heard them in two rooms. The better of the two was Sarah's. (EDIT: Sorry misspelled the name. Just checked the Wam and it's not Sarah, it's Sera. It was loud :) Apologies! )

She run then on the end of amps she made herself. Source was Sonos Connect. It really sounded impressive.

Then there were huge DIY open baffle speakers made by a local lad here in Sheffield. Aluminium construction with massive drivers. He had to transport them in bits and assemble as the whole thing would weight too much. They were quad amped. 3 huge mid/bass units and 2 tweeters (2" dome and ribbon).

The high end room didn't disappoint. In fact it was a revelation. Expensive system but still. PMC floorstanders (I think twenty.25 series) with active crossover run from a Linn Exakt system. The room was tiny and the sound was crystal clear. If anyone wants to buy a liver I'll be ordering one tomorrow :)

There was also a presentation and a workshop by Linn. Showing off their Exakt active crossover concept. Really good stuff.

I too didn't take any pictures as they were professionally taken and will surely appear of the Wam.

The atmosphere was truly superb and everyone very welcoming. Actively encouraging to play the music you brought. The show would need to be twice as long to see all the rooms.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd encourage everyone to head over to HifiWigwam and read the show reports.

Like minded folks enjoying what seemed like a fantastic weekend, complete with pixx xp and curry in the evening.

Makes you forget the squabbling about cables and other contentious things on forums.

I wished I had been there.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
I'd encourage everyone to head over to HifiWigwam and read the show reports.

Like minded folks enjoying what seemed like a fantastic weekend, complete with pixx xp and curry in the evening.

Makes you forget the squabbling about cables and other contentious things on forums.

I wished I had been there.

+1 all day long

tonky

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts