SC-LX82 and speaker matching

scene

As you may know, I've been trying to decide whether to go for the sc-lx82 and, after some helpful posts, my thoughts were to keep my existing front three - an Monitor Audio RS-LCR and a pair of MA Silver 8is - and get a new pair of rears, a pair of MA RXFX, and a new sub, probably an RSW12. All well and good. But...
Now I've read that the SC-LX82 doesn't suit "bright" speakers, such as the MA RS range. (I'm assuming my 8is are "bright" as well, as they're a tonal match for the RS centre.) Does anyone know if this is correct?
Basically, do I need to get the RX range at the same time as the amp, or will the MCACC system on the pioneer take care of this?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Too many assumptions here - you need to demo, demo, demo!

You may find the Pioneer a little lively after your Arcam, or you may love it. How well-furnished is your living room?

scene

Clare Newsome:
Too many assumptions here - you need to demo, demo, demo!

You may find the Pioneer a little lively after your Arcam, or you may love it. How well-furnished is your living room?

I know, the demo is key, and I will try to sort one out. Just want to reduce the shortlist a bit and avoid hacking people off with shifting requirements...

As for my room, it's got carpet on the floor, four sofas (one very big, one big, and two smaller). Big floor to ceiling windows opposite end of the room from the front speakers, but floor length curtains to cover. Some other wooden tables in the room. So reasonably furnished, with the curtained windows opposite stopping the windows providing too much sound reflection.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The SCLX82 does have a more forward and energetic sound than some other AV receivers, but the not suiting bright speaker thing is something banded about by those that haven't heard the combination or assume the amp won't suit as it's digital. We ran our Apex sub/sat system in on the SCLX82, no issues. I use an SCLX82 with M&K, no issues. The X-Curve feature of the Pioneer allows you to cut HF by up to 3dB (which is very noticable) in 0.5dB steps. Our main AV room is quite reflective, exaggerating higher frequencies, and when we used this feature on the SCLX90 with Monitor Audio Patinums, it sorted it out. So rest easy on that one.

scene

FrankHarveyHiFi:
The SCLX82 does have a more forward and energetic sound than some other AV receivers, but the not suiting bright speaker thing is something banded about by those that haven't heard the combination or assume the amp won't suit as it's digital. We ran our Apex sub/sat system in on the SCLX82, no issues. I use an SCLX82 with M&K, no issues. The X-Curve feature of the Pioneer allows you to cut HF by up to 3dB (which is very noticable) in 0.5dB steps. Our main AV room is quite reflective, exaggerating higher frequencies, and when we used this feature on the SCLX90 with Monitor Audio Patinums, it sorted it out. So rest easy on that one.

Thanks for that. Shame that Hifix don't have any SC-LX82s in stock, or I might have been on the phone
emotion-5.gif

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
As Clare says, a demo is the key, what is 'bright' to one person, is 'detailed' to another. A lot of the independent retailer offer home demo's.

I personally fall in the latter camp. Having demo'd the LX-83 (which I believe is a similar 'type' of sound to the LX-82) with my RS servies speakers, I didn't find it bright at all, its recovery of fine detail was far better than my current Onkyo.

Added to this the 360 degree sound field was far better and more involving, which I can only assume is due, in part, to the excellent MCACC calibration system, which I have to say is the best autocalibration system I have ever used, by a country mile.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
gdavies09031977:

As Clare says, a demo is the key, what is 'bright' to one person, is 'detailed' to another. A lot of the independent retailer offer home demo's.

For me theres 3 different possible

Natural (which is that everything sounds as it 'should' do, regardless of what people think)

Bright and

Dull

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts