Saturn plus Tucana - overkill?

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a Rega Saturn currently playing through a Leema Pulse. I'm considering upgrading the amp to a Tucana (MkI, second hand). Is this total overkill on the amp front, or a worthwhile upgrade that will make a substantial difference?

(They play out of B&W 805S speakers, by the way)

Thanks

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Well, I have a Saturn and a Pulse, like you. I wouldn't say no to a Tucana at a good price, though! How do you find your system? 90% of the time, I think mine is fabulous, but it gets a bit strident with some loud rock music. I suspect that could be mostly to do with my speakers. What do you think?

baldy38

Oct 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I haven't heard the Quads, so I couldn't say for sure, but I suspect you may be right. I auditioned quite a lot of speakers before I settled on mine, and I found there was a massive difference between speakers in the £500-800 bracket and those in the £1500 bracket. That's why I went for the 805S in the end - they gave a huge leap forward in sound. I'm wondering whether the Tucana may do the same.

With regard to the sound of the system at the moment, the more I listen to it, the more I believe that differences in sound quality between different CDs are down to the production of the CD rather than a weakness in the system. If it's been well produced, it sounds great, regardless of the genre. If it hasn't, it shows up the weaknesses in the mixing/production.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
the saturn is more than good enough to let you hear the improvement in amplification, and it would not be overkill, as the speakers would probably show greater benefit

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts