Sattelite speaker without sub for stereo

YOLO

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I have the following problem so please help me out.

i'm planning to buy Q Acoustics 7000i without a sub for stereo listening.

I would combine them with a Marantz MCR-511 or a NAD 3020.

The Dali Zensor Pico or the QA 3010 are to big to place in my livingroom/furniture. Stands will be knocked down with children en pets.

so, do anyone have experince if this would be a sensible/reasenoble setup?

thank you very much

YOLO

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your reply.

€259 for a pair of qa 7000i (without sub)

for comparison

€298 for a pair of Dali Zensor 1

€ 280 for a pair of QA 3010

insider9

Honest answer is I don't know.

If I had space constrains I'd be looking to go active route. Sonos or Heos or similar. Something you could either reuse (other room, etc.) if you decide to go separates route when kids grow up or simply expand in time.

There's only so much you can get out of small speakers and Sonos seems to be doing a great job with lots of functionality.

YOLO

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I was looking at the Heos 1 HS 2 version or Sonos 1. But, it seems that it's not possible to connect a tv with optical Cable. Or am i wrong?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
The Bluesound Pulse Flex does have an optical in. So a pair of these would do the job nicely. More expensive than the options you mentioned, but you wouldn't need to pay for a separate amp. And you have Spotify Connect included, and other streaming services, internet radio and the fabulous Radio Paradise!

Go for a demo. You Only Live Once!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi yolo...I have the qacoustics q7000i setup at home. I have tried it in various configurations as under mentioned:

1. In 5.1 setup with a Sony str-dn 850. Sounds good for music , but I did feel the lack of scale in 2 channel mode with the two speakers spaced 5.5 feet from each other. And with self sitting at 11 feet from both. But if when I move the speakers to 4 feet from each other and sit at a distance of 5 feet. The scale sounds too good for such diminutive speakers. But as I have a 65 inch TV, and have to sit at 11 feet from the TV, I have replaced the front speakers with the concept 40's.

2. In the above configuration, when listening in 2 channel mode without the sub, I did feel the lack of bottom end in bass heavy tracks. However, it was only in very few songs on a average. Otherwise the bass from speakers so small is really surprising. Just don't expect it to go anywhere below 90hz.

3. Now i tried using the 7000 LRi speakers for musical duties in my dining room, with a bluesound powernode. And the QA sub. The powernode has sub out, with cross over set at 80 Hz. This combination really sounds amazing. So much so, that iam disappointed with the concept 40 speakers so far. I know that they are mighty better speakers. But will need considerably better and expensive amplification to beat the powernode and QA 7000 LRi combination.

From above, below are my observations:

1. The NAD D3020 is very identical to the powernode in power output and class D amplification. So if it has a sub woofer out, then please buy the sub to hear this small but huge sounding system in all its glory.

2. This is also important. The ideal cross over between the sub and the speakers in my room is actually 120hz. Since I cannot set that cross over on my powernode , iam keeping it at the fixed 80hz option. And some times, just sometimes I feel that void in the bass, which I suspect is between the 80 to 100 Hz region. Again I didn't measure it, it is just my opinion, and I could be wrong by a mile.

3. So if the D3020 has sub woofer out , and bass management. Then setting the cross over at 120hz sounds ideal. But this makes the sub sound more localised due to the high cross over. So when I placed the sub between the left and right speakers , everything blends beautifully, and I just can't make out where the speakers stop, and the sub starts .

So all in all, if you have place to place these two satellite speakers 4 feet from each other. And place the sub in between, then they will really do justice to your investment. And the scale will blow you away. But again, even iam new to hi-fi. So please audition before you buy. And please bear in mind the subwoofer positioning as mentioned above. The positioning of the sub is the make or break of this system in my humble opinion. All the best....

YOLO

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
Hi Newlash09, thank you very much for anwser and sharing your experince.

I will follow your advice and go listen in a shop.

Thnx, and i will share my experince allso.

greetings yolo

YOLO

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
First of all i would like to thank all forummembers with their time and advice.

today i went to an audioshop and listenend to various options.

first began the demo with the sallelite systems from Dali and B&W compared with the Dali Zensor Pico.

The Pico's i liked a lot, then we moved on with Zensor 1, B&W 686, Opticon 2 and Some floorstanders.

So sorry that i not have the space or funds for Opticon 6...omg Powered by a NAD 368, sounded very good at low volumes also....

back to my budget .....I really liked the NAD 3020 with the Dali Zensors. The 1's have a bigger scale but there is not mutch between them. So i settled with the picos and the small Nad. Complemented with Some audioquest forest optical and coaxial cables i will install my system tomorrow.

The speakers will be wallmounted, so no worries for children or pets knocking them down.

happy newyear to you all.

cheers Yolo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts