Satellite Dish LNB

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
I was just wondering what the average lifespan of an LNB is? The reason for asking is that mine was installed about 12 years ago and i am having some work done to the roof. The only way to access the roof is to have a firm erect a 10m scaffold tower which is setting me back a bit and I was wondering if it is worth killing 2 birds with one stone and replacing what isn't broken.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi there.

It wouldn't hurt that while you have the work done on your roof to at least get someone in to check the condition of both the dish and lnb, after all 12 years is a long time.

I recently had my sky dish replaced after over 15 years only because the bracket holding it to the wall had rusted through and it was nearly in danger of falling off.

*smile*

rs6mra

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi & Thanks for your response. I will have it checked out. I take it that all dishes are pretty much still the same and haven't changed? And would I be correct in thinking that a quad LNB like for like replacement would be the best & possibly only option in order to make the most of the scaffold in place?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to inform you but when I saw that my dish was about to fall off the wall, I called a local company thinking that they could just replace the wall bracket and that would be it, but when the engineer asked how long I had the dish up, he said that in that time the specs had changed (wall mount design had changed and also the LNB came already fixed to the arm for easy installation), so in the end I had to have a complete new dish, LNB and wall bracket which cost me over £100.

Although at the time I was a bit annoyed at having to pay out a bit more that I thought, at least hopefully the new dish and LNB should last another 15 years or longer.

To answer your last point the new dish came with a quad output LNB as standard, the engineer told me it was easier for people who wanted Sky in other rooms.

Hope this helps.

*smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts