Sansui AU-7500 and TRIANGLE ALTEA EX

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first time in this forum.

I have got two years ago a gift from my father, a Sansui AU-7500 that he both when he was young.

I have used it alway with Magnepan speakers ( another gift of my uncle ) but no idea of the model.

Unfortunately moving them, or for old age reasons, no idea, the tweeter of one speaker is gone, and they told me that fixing it is expansive as buying new speakers.

I found for a good price two speakers Triangle, the altea ex. Do you think that my old sansui ampli can drive them? If not, is there a medium budget amplifier ( Marantz 7004 ? ) more indicated than the sansui?

Thanks a lot

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
your Sansui amp will drive those Triangles with ease. they are quite sensitive and an easy load so your amp will have no trouble driving them. in fact it will have an easier time with Triangle than it had with Magnepans. what worries me though, is that you might have a hard time getting used to sound of box speakers having had planars all that time.

BTW, have you checked if any of the fuses are blown? maybe that'll tell you why you lost your tweeter.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice...

Yes I have checked the fuse, I tried with a 'working' fuse that i take from the Sansui, unfortunately it didn't work...

Tomorrow maybe I'll search for the correct fuse to have a try, but I tried also with the multimeeter on the copper juncions and really seems that something went wrong.

About these triangle speakers, are they a good buy? I found them ( in switzerland ) for something like 1k Euros

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
deeru said:
About these triangle speakers, are they a good buy? I found them ( in switzerland ) for something like 1k Euros

I don't think there's anything wrong with Triangle speakers. but audition before you buy if you can. those are box speakers so I'm 99% sure you'll notice drop in micro dynamics and micro detail retrieval, drop in ambience retrieval, drop in resolution and the soundstage will become shrinked. but you'll also notice like there's more bass. that's typical for box designs bass hump in mid bass due to voicing and energy storage in cabinet. but this bass will be less articulate. it may feel like it's gutsier but it'll be more like "one note bass". I think your decision depends on what you're listening to. if you're into hard rock/ metal then go for dynamic box speakers. if you're into something more subtle then I can't see if any box speakers would replace good bipolar planars.

you say you can have those Triangles for 1000 Euro. but you can also get brand new MG12s for about 1600 Euro. or you can hunt for a bargain on the bay, or some other classifieds web site.

A

Anonymous

oldric_naubhoff said:
deeru said:

I don't think there's anything wrong with Triangle speakers. but audition before you buy if you can. those are box speakers so I'm 99% sure you'll notice drop in micro dynamics and micro detail retrieval, drop in ambience retrieval, drop in resolution and the soundstage will become shrinked. but you'll also notice like there's more bass. that's typical for box designs bass hump in mid bass due to voicing and energy storage in cabinet. but this bass will be less articulate. it may feel like it's gutsier but it'll be more like "one note bass". I think your decision depends on what you're listening to. if you're into hard rock/ metal then go for dynamic box speakers. if you're into something more subtle then I can't see if any box speakers would replace good bipolar planars.

you say you can have those Triangles for 1000 Euro. but you can also get brand new MG12s for about 1600 Euro. or you can hunt for a bargain on the bay, or some other classifieds web site.

Thanks for the reply...

Still not decided to buy them.

Mostly I listen Jazz, classical music, some rock (2%) and stuff like Leonard Cohen, Radiohead, Procol Harum etc...

I tried to search the Magnepan MG12 speakers you were talking about but no luck... at least in Europe... I can find only a 1.6 model that costs 1700 Euros.

Another question, in case im going again for planars speakers, is my amplifier good enough to drive them? I don't want to spend 2k for the speakers and another one for the amplifier ( my actual one is the Sansui AU-7500 )

Last fast question, are the audio video amplifiers like the marantz 7005 ( 1.5k euros) any good to be attached to planar or the triangle speakers ? I was maybe thinking to use the triangle as front speakers for the dolby and use them in stereo mode to listen at music and records.. can you give me a good advice?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think Oldric gives good advice.

I have heard a few speakers from Triangle, which are fun, lively, easy to drive, and too forward for my taste with most modern solid state amps. If I had to guess, they might go quite well with the sound of an old Sansui amp, which is probably on the smoother side.

I can't comment on the Maggies, as I've never heard them.

A

Anonymous

About the AV amplifier can someone give me a good advice?

Is it better to keep a single 'good' amplifier that drive the front speakers ( used also when needed )in a surround system?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts