Samsung's latest earnings report reveals solid sales for OLED, Neo QLED and XL TVs among lacklustre market demand

rbbrittain

May 2, 2024
Visit site
Perhaps its problem is shunning Dolby Vision and throwing all its eggs into the HDR10+ rabbit hole. All other major TV manufacturers, the vast majority of content providers, and even the physical media community I'm a part of are all solidly in the DV camp. And it so happens that the two competitors eating Samsung's lunch in the TV market -- Hisense & TCL -- are the ones that have embraced multiple HDR technologies beyond regular HDR10 -- DV, HDR10+, HLG, even Advanced HDR by Technicolor (all but given up for dead, but my U.S. Hisense TV's ATSC 3.0 / NextGen TV tuner managed to stumble into it the other day along with DV) -- rather than buy into Samsung's self-destructive HDR format war. (Vizio is also multi-HDR but a U.S.-only brand; Walmart is more interested in the advertising side of its smart TV platform than HDR.) I still believe the biggest thing Samsung can do to revive its TV business across the board is cough up the reported <$3 in royalties per TV & finally adopt DV across its lineup.

TRENDING THREADS