Samsung vs Sony

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
One for any of the WHF team...

My search for a new tv took me to John Lewis over the weekend. When I told the Samsung rep that my choice had come down to a toss up between the Sony KDL50W829 and the Samsung UE48H6400, he pointed to another, more expensive (£899) Samsung model saying that that is the tv that compares to the Sony W8. The shop was very busy and I didn't press him on his comment, but am I to take it from what the rep said that the Sony is the better tv, but it's £200 more expensive than the Samsung so, on a £ for £ basis, the UE48H6400 wins? I know all Sound & Vision reviews are carried out on a 'best bang for your buck' basis, but the W829 even drops a star up against the Samsung in the July test. I would be a little less confused, if the Sony kept it's 5 stars but the Samsung won, but to drop a star so soon after it's first test? Is the Samsung really that good?

I studied both tvs (the Sony and the Samsung in the test, I mean), but it's so damn difficult to tell in a busy shop...

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello bigboss,

No, definitely not a gamer. If the Samsung really is that good, I could save a couple of hundred quid and get a bluray player, or something. On the other hand, if the Sony is £200 worth better, I don't mind paying the extra, if you see what I mean.

According to Techradar, the Sony is slightly better. They even recommend a cheaper model if you don't want 3D:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/plasma-and-lcd-tvs/sony-kdl-50w829-1232499/review/3#articleContent

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/televisions/samsung-ue48h6400-1247567/review/4#articleContent

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Yeh, I looked at th Techradar reviews, along with many others. The 2D Sonys (right up my street - not interested in 3D) don't look to be available yet, though, which is a pity...

xyba

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
daveyjay said:
Yeh, I looked at th Techradar reviews, along with many others. The 2D Sonys (right up my street - not interested in 3D) don't look to be available yet, though, which is a pity...

Which Sony are you talking about, not being available? Both the W829 and W705 have both been available for some time. I have the w7 now but swapping for a Samsung H6400. The W829 you mention above has 3D btw.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts