Samsung TX-P50V10 or Pioneer PDP-LX5090? New vs Old?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As many people out there, I am planning to upgrade my current very old home cinema setup.

I was planning to get the following stuff:

Television: Pioneer PDP-LX5090
Decoder: Humax IR-HD5000C
A/V-receiver: Pioneer SC-LX72
Speakers: Kef KHT3005SE

Blu-ray player will be bought later, since I will be out of cash after buying the previosuly mentioned stuff.

But I am starting to having second doubts about the Pioneer television. Not only Pioneer stopped producing them, the model is also getting "older".

And after reading the excellent review on the Samsung TX-P50V10, I am considering the Panasonic to be a serious consideration for my setup.

Also the Panasonic is 300 Euro's cheaper compared to the Pioneer. At least where I live (the Netherlands).

Let me say in front; I haven't seen the Pioneer in real-life and I didn't find one store which had it up and running for a demo. Probably cause the production has stopped and stores are clearing them out.

Anyways, will the Panasonic TX-P50V10E be a good choice for me and should I ignore the Pioneer cmpletely? Also the Panasonic seems way more updated on extra's and new stuff.

Thanks in advance for all your advice.

A

Anonymous

Ga voor de pioneer!Ik heb de Pana en de Pioneer is van beeldkwaliteit toch wel beter!

A

Anonymous

I have the panasonic 42" v10 and I am very pleased with it, but I compared it side by side in the shop in which I bought it, with the Pioneer 5090, and the latter was better, in my (and the vast majority of people's, inc what hifi's) opinion. If I could accomodate a 50" and could justify the extra cost, I probably would have bought it.

I'm not actually too interested in the viera cast, freesat hd and internet thingys that the panasonic has, so I wouldn't be swayed by those, unless they are important to you.

good luck with whatever you go for.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Some confusion whether P50V50 is a Panasonic or Samsung screen, I noted this as well
emotion-5.gif

It is of course a Panasonic screen. I however agree with what has already been said. The Pioneer is still the superior TV.

A

Anonymous

Yeah sorry for the misunderstanding, I did mean the Panasonic.

So the Pioneer is still a good buy, right?
What about the new stuff you get with newer TV's?
For example: 100 Hz or higher refreshrate

I will be using the Pioneer for blu-ray movies, HD movies/series I downloaded, PS3 / XBOX360 gaming and watching soccer matches.

Will it be able to cope with the above things?

...and yes, I understand comparing the 2 TV's in real-life is the best way, however, it's kinda hard to find a shop (in the Netherlands) which still has the Pioneer. Only webshops have them...

Also how does the Pioneer KRP-500A compare to the Pioneer PDP-LX5090? Is it worth the (massive) extra amount of money?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
HHawk: I will be using the Pioneer for blu-ray movies, HD movies/series I downloaded, PS3 / XBOX360 gaming and watching soccer matches.

No, it's the best TV on the market that you can't watch anything on...

...and yes, I understand comparing the 2 TV's in real-life is the best way, however, it's kinda hard to find a shop (in the Netherlands) which still has the Pioneer. Only webshops have them...

I'd make very sure they actually do still have them before parting with your money.

Also how does the Pioneer KRP-500A compare to the Pioneer PDP-LX5090? Is it worth the (massive) extra amount of money?

They're not that much more, only a couple of hundred quid I thought? I've seen LX5090s on sale for more than I paid for my KRP-500a.

A

Anonymous

Ga voor de Pioneer!Heb ze alletwee gezien(mijn vriend heeft er een!)en heb er spijt van dat ik ook niet de Pio genomen heb.Heb zelf de V10

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
lazarus:Ga voor de Pioneer!Heb ze alletwee gezien(mijn vriend heeft er een!)en heb er spijt van dat ik ook niet de Pio genomen heb.Heb zelf de V10

This is a local forum for local people!

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:

HHawk:

I'd make very sure they actually do still have them before parting with your money.

They're not that much more, only a couple of hundred quid I thought? I've seen LX5090s on sale for more than I paid for my KRP-500a.

Only a couple of hundred quid?!

Pioneer PDP-LX5090 - 1895 Euro
Pioneer KRP-500A - 2685 Euro

Difference 790 Euro (= 718 GBP)

That's a big difference for me and my wallet! Probably you're loaded and when you mean a "couple of hundred quid", it's not much for you, but it is for me...

the_lhc:

HHawk: I will be using the Pioneer for blu-ray movies, HD movies/series I downloaded, PS3 / XBOX360 gaming and watching soccer matches.

Thanks for the sarcastic answer. I meant I have seen plasma's which couldn't display soccer matches very good.

the_lhc:

HHawk:

Like said, the local stores (or anything near 100 km) do not have them for display. The webshops however, do have them in store. But it's kinda hard to check the screen from the internet...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
HHawk:the_lhc: Also how does the Pioneer KRP-500A compare to the Pioneer PDP-LX5090? Is it worth the (massive) extra amount of money?

Only a couple of hundred quid?!

Pioneer PDP-LX5090 - 1895 Euro
Pioneer KRP-500A - 2685 Euro

Difference 790 Euro (= 718 GBP)

That's a big difference for me and my wallet! Probably you're loaded and when you mean a "couple of hundred quid", it's not much for you, but it is for me...

Sorry but I can't be held responsible for the prices in your part of the world, I paid £2200 for my KRP-500a.

the_lhc:HHawk: I will be using the Pioneer for blu-ray movies, HD movies/series I downloaded, PS3 / XBOX360 gaming and watching soccer matches.

Thanks for the sarcastic answer. I meant I have seen plasma's which couldn't display soccer matches very good.

Yes but they weren't THIS plasma screen, I was being serious, did you not read any reviews of the Pioneers when they came out? If they'd been rubbish with sports etc then they wouldn't have got the glowing reviews they did. My Pioneer plasma displays football just fine, provided you set it to Drive Mode 2.

the_lhc:HHawk:

Like said, the local stores (or anything near 100 km) do not have them for display. The webshops however, do have them in store. But it's kinda hard to check the screen from the internet...

Exactly, a number of people have been caught out by websites saying they've got something in stock only to find they haven't, in some cases, after the money has been taken.

A

Anonymous

Well the difference will still be 500 Euro approx. I will have to think about that.
Any big differences between the two Pioneers, other then the external media receiver?

Otherwise I will save a month more and try to get the KRP-500A.

Well, all the reviews I read on the available websites, didn't mention soccer matches. That's why I was asking.

Drive Mode 2 is also available on the PDP-LX5090, right?

Well the webstore I am thinking about doing bussines with, is one I have done bussines before. However I can always select for payment on arrival. ;)

I didn't mean to offend anyone, I just want to get the right TV (like we all do). I have a small list and currently the Pioneer sits at the top...

A

Anonymous

lazarus:And you mean what by telling me this?

I think he means let us non multilingual posters understand what your saying, after all this is a Forum.

A

Anonymous

Yes,so?For that one time.He also could have asked nicely what I was saying in dutch!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
lazarus: Yes,so?For that one time.He also could have asked nicely what I was saying in dutch!

Anyone with a passing familiarity of British TV comedy would know that, by way of a humourous quotation, I did exactly that.

the_lhc:

lazarus: Yes,so?For that one time.He also could have asked nicely what I was saying in dutch!

Anyone with a passing familiarity of British TV comedy would know that, by way of a humourous quotation, I did exactly that.

There's a very thin line between your British quotation and sounding racist. I'm not surprised if lazarus is offended by it.

I don't mean this in a bad way. Often, we try to convey something, & others take it differently to what we mean........it's no one's fault, but such misunderstandings do happen.

A

Anonymous

The 500a, apart from the media box has one more hdmi, is thinner for wall mounting, has free satellite tuner built in (in the uk atleast), and more picture modes (includining 'pure' which is as good as calibrated out of the box)

The built in tuner shouldn't bother you if you have an external tuner box already. The extra hdmi shouldnt bother you if everything is running through the av reciever. A calibration disc is 10GBP and an hour, which will bring a 5090 close enough to identical! It all comes down to is the thinner depth worth the extra money to you?

Hope this helps!

Sirguy969

Sep 4, 2008
Visit site
"What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here, this is a local shop for local people" lol

Think you'll find the difference in price between the two precious things is twelvety!

Trouble is I'm not sure if Royston Vasey have broad band so ordering from them over the internet could be an issue, mind you there is a road being planned to Lon Don so maybe when that's built you could take advantage of the twelvety price difference and get it courriered, not on naked day though!

Cameron

A

Anonymous

bigboss:the_lhc:

There's a very thin line between your British quotation and sounding racist. I'm not surprised if lazarus is offended by it.

I don't mean this in a bad way. Often, we try to convey something, & others take it differently to what we mean........it's no one's fault, but such misunderstandings do happen.

You're right Big Boss!!

But,never understood British comedy anyway!!-)

Case closed!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss:the_lhc:lazarus: Yes,so?For that one time.He also could have asked nicely what I was saying in dutch!

ARGH! It's a quote from the League of Gentlemen! I could have said "Oooh, me nipples are like bullets!" but it wouldn't have made an awful lot of sense!

I apologize if Lazarus was offended, however I was offended by someone conversing in a laguage that 99% of the people here don't understand, they could have been saying anything about any one of us, in contravention of the House Rules, with complete impunity (as multi-talented as Mr E. is I don't think it extends to fluency in Dutch...), and that's not just unfair, it's also, IMO, VERY impolite.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
JTD:
The 500a, apart from the media box has one more hdmi, is thinner for wall mounting

Wall mounting is also made easier by virtue of only having one cable running to the screen, the system cable (ok and the power lead!).

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:JTD:
The 500a, apart from the media box has one more hdmi, is thinner for wall mounting

Wall mounting is also made easier by virtue of only having one cable running to the screen, the system cable (ok and the power lead!).

And a 5090 would have one HDMI lead (from the amp which is used for switching) and the power lead
emotion-4.gif
well it is in my case and from the looks of it as in the OP

emotion-5.gif

the_lhc:

I apologize if Lazarus was offended, however I was offended by someone conversing in a laguage that 99% of the people here don't understand, they could have been saying anything about any one of us, in contravention of the House Rules, with complete impunity (as multi-talented as Mr E. is I don't think it extends to fluency in Dutch...), and that's not just unfair, it's also, IMO, VERY impolite.

That's a fair point as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts