Samsung LE40M87BDX - 24fps

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Matt,

The set doesn't natively support 24fps, and we did notice some judder in the most testing, fast-motion scenes.

But it's otherwise a great set at a superb price (though beware if you have a Denon DVD-1940 DVD player, as the latter has big issues with these Samsung sets).

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Clare

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, I have already got the tv set and a Denon 1930 DVD player - not a very good combination, I bought them a while ago before any issues were found - not too bothered as I still get a good picture and will upgrade my player soon. I have to set the Denon to 720p and let my tv scale the rest.

The 24fps issue, will the tv show, when I press the info button, 24fps (when I eventually get a blu-ray player) and also does it depend on what version my set is? I appears that the latest version is 2000 - do you know how to check on my tv what version mine has?

Finally - would you recommend a new tv if I wanted very good 24fps handling one, any spring to mind? I paid £800 for my current tv.

Regards, Matt

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As you've got such a good, recent set, if you're determined to upgrade, i'd wait until the 2008-generation sets get into the shops: there'll be a lot more native 24fps TVs at great prices (if CES previews are any indication).

New sets should be in shops from March-April onwards.

mattjax05

Oct 5, 2007
Visit site
I would prefer to keep my tv. In this respect how would be the best way to watch a blu-ray disk on my tv i.e. leave the respective player at 24fps and let the tv do the rest or can I set the player to a 50hz (25fps) setting. What I want is the best picture for my circumstance, you mention that there is juddering with fast motion on 24fps so would it be better to not have 24fps at all, if possible or will I get juddering at either setting as all this handling is done 'real time' and not in a studio.

Thanks, Matt

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a tricky one, as it could depend on how well the Blu-ray player in question is handling the video processing (as well as your set). What player were you planning to get? Could you borrow a mate's PS3 or player to see how it fares?

To be honest, with the HD player situation in such a mess (HD DVD in trouble; Blu-ray players still frustratingly incomplete in terms of spec) if you don't have to buy right now, i'd wait and see how the new season's players pan out - we'll be reviewing as many of the new machines as we can in our April issue, out the first week in March.

In the meantime, i'd stick with your current DVD player - for all the compatibility issues with your Samsung, it's still a solid player, and your TV has a good scaler, too.

NigelF

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Clare,

I intent to buy another TV and not sure if I should wait for 2008 models is there any detail available on who will be launching what and when?

I saw some highlights of CES 2008 and particularly interested in Philips and Panasonic sets.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's frustrating at the moment - a gazillion TVs get launched at CES and then we spend weeks trying to wangle out of the manufacturers which models will make it to the UK when (and at what price).

Here's what we know so far about Philips and Panasonic - plus lots on Samsung and Toshiba. Next week we'll know all about JVC, as they're having a European briefing. Sony and Panasonic will follow them by mid-Feb.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts