Samsung LE-A656 or Panasonic TH42PZ85

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all! I have been searching for a while now for my first LCD or Plasmaa TV. For a long time I was thinking on buying the TH42PZ85, but since I am a frequent consolegamer (xbox 360 and a PS3) I tend to go for the Samsung LE-A656. This cause personally I think games look better on a LCD (more bright) and you don't get - I know most of those problems are solved, but still - the much feared screenburn issues you have with SOME plasma TV's. But.............reading some post on other forums I read a lot of negative things about the LE-A656. Owners claim that with HD material the images/movies seem to go out of focus. Sharp, and then some seconds later, it's looks NOT sharp. Sorry I don't know the right words to describe it but to say it short: several owners are not very happy with this LCD. I thought judging from the technical specs this TV was gonna be awesome. I also read that those problems of focus/out of focus is something that also occurs on other Samsung TV's. Other problems that frequently occur if I must believe the owners: gaming on this Samsung sometimes cause flickering! This is reported by different owners!! With all this in mind, I really don't know which one to buy.....how are the experiences with the What Hifi forum members when it comes to the LE-A656 or the TH42PZ85. It's hard to find negative reviews about the TH42PZ85 (once you done some tweaking that is) so I tend to choose for the latter. Things that I find important on my" future TV are: 24 FPS/ No Judder! with blu-ray/HD, images must be clear and sharp (no focussing problems) A good screen to play consolegames with no problems like tearing/smearing or flickering and stuff like that!! PLEASE HELP!! Any input is greatly respected!! GRt, JJ

A

Anonymous

I was in the exact spot you are in between those two tellys, I opted for the samsung as I am a gamer the tv is due to arrive this thursday so I'll give you my thoughts when I get it set up.

A

Anonymous

Zombunny thx for the reply....let me know what you think of the samsung, would be cool!

A

Anonymous

Well, someone with the same problem that I have. Iïve seen both and they look good, but to tell you the truth Iïm going to wait and see the new 42LG6000 Scarlet series. It also has good specs, but from what iïve read everyone is saying that the Panasonic is better.

Good luck

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I have the 42"PZ85 and it's a cracking tv. I have had no issues/problems what so ever. No image retention what so ever. Even after a 6.5 hour gaming session on my PS3 I didn't notice any problems. Motion handiling is amazing and is a HUGE step up in quality from my brothers 40"(W2000) Sony Bravia lcd. Very fluid on fast action scenes with no blur what so ever. Also the difference in contrast compared to the sony is in a completley different league. On the lcd the blacks look grey, on the plasma the blacks are a very rich dark black.

Gaming is alot better on the plasma as well. Burnout Paradise on the ps3 looks much sharper and clearer than the sony, especially when cars etc are wizzing past you on the screen. The difference is stagering.

The newer lcd models may be an improvement on my brothers 1 year old lcd, but they can't match the plasma's.Most people on here would recomend a plasma at 37" and above. Everyone has different tastes though so you would be best off to have a look at both sets in a store and see what you prefer.

I have been taking it easy on my set for the 1st 100 hours or so with channel logo's and programs like the news. But thats more for peace of mind than anything, the older sets from a few years back needed a running in period of 100-200 hours. And the advice at the moment seems to be that the newer sets don't need any running in period. Like I say it's more for peace of mind , but I have been leaving it on for 8-10 hours a day on bbc1 to speed up the process. Even when it was brand new I watched sky for about 4 hours and didn't see any ghosting,retention or anything else for that matter.

A

Anonymous

Thx for the reply! But SpiceWeasel, have you or someone else compared this TV with an LE-A656? If I buy this TV, I am planning on setting the contrast below 50% to avoid some screenburn problems (you never know!). And did you notice on Blu Ray material some problems like out of focus, sometimes images changes from sharp to not sharp (sorry my english is bad I know) or does the Panny deliver an outstanding perfomance when it comes to HD/Blu Ray material?

A

Anonymous

Actually my tv arrive today, was meant to come tomorrow, lucky for me, just got it set up it is the samsung model stated above 40" LE-A656 freeview looks great and for gaming I love it, super nice images, very easy to use too, remote is huge with a nice backlight, just need to know what are the best settings.

A

Anonymous

thanks man you would be happy with this tv or the panasonic you just have to make the plunge or you'll always be waiting for the next big thing

A

Anonymous

your absoluty right...will let you know when I decide!! I think both TV's are very good in their own ways...no go and enjoy your new LCD !! :)

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
The picture quality on dvd and blueray is outstanding. Images are crystal clear,full of detail and no artifacts, motion blur or any other issues.

I had the same issue's with plasma myths like screen burn image retention as well. Especially as I was replacing a 7-8 year old 32" pany quintrix crt. But I have had no problems what so ever, absolutely nothing.

Just set it up with the THX optimiser found on the star wars dvds, and some other films as well. The standard "factory" settings are miles off. Have a look at the other PZ85 posts for set up advice etc. I do watch sky on the ECO mode setting on the tv. This alters the brightness/contrast depending on how bright your room is. Only using as much as is necesary. Saves on the electric usage as well in this mode.

I have been taking it easy with programs with constant channel logo's, and programs like the news. More for peace of mind as the advice at the moment is that a running in period was needed on plasmas from a few years back. Todays plasma have much better technology to prevent this.

But saying that I have been leaving it on bbc1 for 8-10 hours a day for the 1st 2 weeks just to get the 100 hours up faster. Basically the phosphurs in the screen are at their hottest/brightest during the 1st 100 hours or so. So I have been taking it relatively easy during the 1st 100 hours. Which is where the whole running in time came from.

I have had no problems with mine even after a 6.5 hour gaming session, and 3 hours of constant channel logo's when it was brand new. Like I say it's very very unlikely with todays tv's.

EDIT: No I havn't seen both tv's, which is why I said try and have a look at both sets to see what you prefer. The newer lcd's might be an improvement over last years models.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

Spiceweasel and everyone, thx a lot for all the time to give a reply, thanks!
Something interesting came up and so far nobody on this forum seem to have notice that so I will create a new subject on this forum for that; but the samsung A656 does have a problem that's called 'out of focus', the background from a movie seems to go out of focus every few seconds, from blurry to very sharp and vice versa. Because of that, I was not very keen on buying this TV but there is already a firmware update of Samsung that fixes this problem! I have all these info from another forum but you see forums like WhatHifi and other forums are so important to follow cause you pick up a lot of things your normally would not consider!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts