Samsung Galaxy S4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

I personally think all the flagship phones have got to the point where the hardware makes no difference to usability.

So what the manufacturers are left with is ever increasing specs to please the benchmark geeks, and gimmicky features that most people won't use.

Plus peripheral/accessories to save taking your phone out your pocket/use it in different ways

Paul.

scene said:
I think the S4 has raised the bar and does have some great features and may well cause Apple problems until the 5S/6 come out....

If Samsung built the S3 mini to the standard of the S3, or build a great S4 mini then I might agree with you. But for now, they don't directly compete and there are plenty of customers for both companies to grow.

daveh75 said:
I personally think all the flagship phones have got to the point where the hardware makes no difference to usability. So what we're left with is ever increasing specs to please the benchmark geeks, and gimmicky features that most people won't use.

Strongly agree. Would add it's all about the platform now.

scene

Paul. said:
scene said:
I think the S4 has raised the bar and does have some great features and may well cause Apple problems until the 5S/6 come out....

If Samsung built the S3 mini to the standard of the S3, or build a great S4 mini then I might agree with you. But for now, they don't directly compete and there are plenty of customers for both companies to grow.

I hear what your saying and agree with you. Still think some people will see it as an either/or between and iPhone and S4

daveh75 said:
I personally think all the flagship phones have got to the point where the hardware makes no difference to usability. So what we're left with is ever increasing specs to please the benchmark geeks, and gimmicky features that most people won't use.

Strongly agree. Would add it's all about the platform now.

Yep - my phone can drain its battery flat in 15 minutes while playing a HD movie at the same time as filming the crowd watching it in HD and video-conferencing my 8 friends in with PIP, and simulcast of all video streams to them... :)

Whatever happened to the good old days when you could leave your mobile phone on over the weekend (not charging) and still order a takeaway on Sunday night?

Paul.

My workphone is a Samsung GT-E2600. Its very 2004, but I charge it once a fortnight!

W_225_gtE2600.jpg

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
daveh75 said:
I'm wondering just how bad some of the features are on the S4, given the painful, nauseating show rather than live demoing them.

We've added a couple of videos to our hands-on review showing Air View and Eye Scroll in action

We were told that the software wasn't finished but the features seemed to work pretty well. Air Gesture required that you were quite deliberate and Air View seemed quite picky. I'm curious as to how Eye Scroll will work, I noticed the screen would start scrolling as you moved it around doing other things.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure the S4 is heading in the right direction. The Jedi feature for scrolling was done on a mid range Sony phone last and everyone through the reviews said it was more of a gimmick and not something you would use all the time. The Jedi eye thing, I spend a lot of time talking to people even when watching something it would take me hours to get through a 30 min program.

How long will the battery last with all the extras on and the new larger 1080p screen. Battery life is a major issue with a lot of phones now, I can see it getting worse.

I think we are getting to a point now were you no longer have a phone you can make calls, play game, send email and surf the web. It's more like you have a mini tablet that you can make a call on.

Phone features like better battery life, a phone that looks awesome but it durable enough so you no longer need a case, charging without ever needing to plug the phone in again, a solid signal are all more important

TRENDING THREADS