Samsung Galaxy S2 to get Ice Cream Sandwich

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
fr0g said:
I'd call that very good near-sight! There's no way I could do that, no matter the resolution, the text is simply too small. I just tried it on my Desire HD, and I have to bring it within a foot to read it, and then it's not particularly comfortable.

To be fair, I am slightly long-sighted though ! :=)

Perhaps you could get a pair of those distinguished looking 'half moon' reading glasses (with a neck chain). Peering over them at people must be good fun...

dumbledore-headshot.jpg

(He is indicating the width of his iPad I think...)

A

Anonymous

I'd like to use a Kindle too (my wife has one and loves it), but I already carry a phone, headphones, 3DS and laptop (+ full set of waterproofs) in my bag so I'm trying to avoid carrying around anymore devices on my daily commute.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
If ppi was of no relevance then an sd tv would be as sharp as a hd tv. But of course they're not. But once a ppi has been reached-in relation to viewing distance and screen size, that makes pixels impossible to see, no gains can be had from a higher ppi. That's why 4k2k is pointless.

I disagree, and didnt say it was of no relevance, that would be dumb. But screens are getting bigger. There is a clear difference even to me with my obviously average eyesight between 720 and 1080 on my 55" screen, sitting about 10 ft away.

4k2k will be worth having when 55" is the norm and people are watching 60" + screens or projectors (which they will).

It's one of the reasons I hate the cinema...the poor quality of the picture compared to blueray. I watched "Inception" at the flicks, then on BR recently, and the home experience was far better imo. Much (much) better picture quality.

SD is very low ppi, so it's obvious HD will be better... ppi on most smart phones (even low spec) is way higher than on say a 17" laptop.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
fr0g said:
I'd call that very good near-sight! There's no way I could do that, no matter the resolution, the text is simply too small. I just tried it on my Desire HD, and I have to bring it within a foot to read it, and then it's not particularly comfortable.

To be fair, I am slightly long-sighted though ! :=)

Perhaps you could get a pair of those distinguished looking 'half moon' reading glasses (with a neck chain). Peering over them at people must be good fun...

dumbledore-headshot.jpg

(He is indicating the width of his iPad I think...)

I think I'd prefer one of these...

1211_monoclechriseubank_display_image.jpg

...for the sheer audacity :)

A

Anonymous

fr0g said:
ooh.. said:
If ppi was of no relevance then an sd tv would be as sharp as a hd tv. But of course they're not. But once a ppi has been reached-in relation to viewing distance and screen size, that makes pixels impossible to see, no gains can be had from a higher ppi. That's why 4k2k is pointless.

I disagree, and didnt say it was of no relevance, that would be dumb. But screens are getting bigger. There is a clear difference even to me with my obviously average eyesight between 720 and 1080 on my 55" screen, sitting about 10 ft away.

4k2k will be worth having when 55" is the norm and people are watching 60" + screens or projectors (which they will).

It's one of the reasons I hate the cinema...the poor quality of the picture compared to blueray. I watched "Inception" at the flicks, then on BR recently, and the home experience was far better imo. Much (much) better picture quality.

SD is very low ppi, so it's obvious HD will be better... ppi on most smart phones (even low spec) is way higher than on say a 17" laptop.

But it's all relevant to distance and screen size, so a laptop (with its far bigger screen) doesn't need the ppi of a 4.3in smartphone.

Also, if you can't see pixels now on your 55 in tv (on 1080p content) you still won't see them on a 55in 4k2k tv. Not being able to do so won't make the picture better, though you might think it would after spending probably double what your current tv cost :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Also, if you can't see pixels now on your 55 in tv (on 1080p content) you still won't see them on a 55in 4k2k tv. Not being able to do so won't make the picture better, though you might think it would after spending probably double what your current tv cost :)

I can't see the pixels, but I can tell the PQ differences between SD, 720p and 1080p.

4K2k would probably give me a little extra. But in 5, 10 years when I upgrade again, the screen will be that much bigger too.

For now I'm happy with 1080P, and even less for most things.

For me, a 4.3 " 800x480 phone is enough and for now 1080p video is enough, but I personally think there is more scope for actual quality gain on the TV side than on the phone side. I can't wait to ogle the new 55" LG OLED TV :)

Look at the Nokia Lumia 800. It has I think the nicest screen of any phone I've seen (subjectively). It is a bit small for me (3.8"), but its 252 ppi is more than enough for me personally.

The iPhone screen is pretty amazing too, but would I prefer it over an S2. Not really, even if it was running android (just to get any perceived anti-apple bias out of the way). I prefer the build quality of the iPhone, but the screensize of the S2.

But then it could depend if I get a tablet. Maybe running a tablet and a phone, then the phone could be smaller?

Sorry I'm thinking out loud here :)

A

Anonymous

Have a look at this trailer on youtube on your phone (in HD) , at 24 seconds there's a pan of Gotham city at night, now i've watched this vid on nearly every high end smartphone out there, and it looks best on the Galaxy Nexus (HD screen) and the iPhone, where you can see all the lights on in the various rooms in the skyscrapers (tiny on a phone).

Try it on most other phones that have less ppi and you see less lights, that's because of the lack of pixels. Jagged text for the same reason. Anyhow it'll not be a problem on this years phones.

And for the record, the image on the Nexus was better IMO, because of the deeper blacks and bigger screen :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
Have a look at this trailer on youtube on your phone (in HD) , at 24 seconds there's a pan of Gotham city at night, now i've watched this vid on nearly every high end smartphone out there, and it looks best on the Galaxy Nexus (HD screen) and the iPhone, where you can see all the lights on in the various rooms in the skyscrapers (tiny on a phone).

Try it on most other phones that have less ppi and you see less lights, that's because of the lack of pixels. Jagged text for the same reason. Anyhow it'll not be a problem on this years phones.

And for the record, the image on the Nexus was better IMO, because of the deeper blacks and bigger screen :)

It looks great on my phone, although I wouldn't want to sit through a film on a tiny 4.3 inch screen either way! :)

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
"all"? I don't own a Galaxy S2, so it isn't "Good new" (sic) for me, it's just new.

News then. It's Pedant of the Week Award!
smiley-laughing.gif
"Good News for all Galaxy S2 Owners". There. Happy?

Good guide here to the difference between Gingerbread and ICS.

colinm66

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Just upgraded to ICS, be aware your icons on the home pages get removed (the programmes are still present in the Applications sections - you need to copy the icons/widgets over again...)

SteveR750

I got told by one vodafone techy support that ICS was ready for update from 2 days ago. Hung up, tried it, nope natch. Called back, and it's still not ready to be rolled out....didn't know when it would be either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts