Samsung es8000 light bleed problem

gunner

Sep 4, 2007
Visit site
I have just purchased the 46 inch version of the es8000
The pictures are excellent in both 2d and 3d and from blu ray are awesome
There is no app for bbc iplayer as yet and no lovefilm but told they are coming
The problem I have however is a bright patch in each corner of the screen and a bright ’V’ of light in the bottom centre of the screen, these are particularly noticeable when watching a film with black bars top and bottom
Has anyone else noticed this problem or do I have a faulty set?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
I would imagine the LED brightness is too high. Try turning down to about 10. It will still be plenty bright enought.

Also ensure it is not in 'Dynamic' mode - designed to make it stand out in the showroom, but for too much for home viewing.

Good luck!

3937edwards

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
unfortunatley this is a problem experienced by many people including myself and is imo can be a common issue with this type of technology alot of members on these forums have had the same issues i would raise the issue with the retailer you purchased the tv from and tell them you are not happy with the issues you have with the tv dependent on the retailer or the time you have had it they may exchange it or at least look at the problem itself good luck :)

gunner

Sep 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I have set the tv with a THX optimiser disc and even turned the backlight down a tad more

the light is still visible even with a dark 3D picture, wearing glasses

might have to contact Samsung:?

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
This is a common problem with lcd/led i'm afraid but really shouldn't happen on a higher end tv...it's common at the budget end of the market though, i had this exact problem myself with Sony and Samsung tvs and is the reason i went over to plasma after several battles to get sets replaced or refunded.

In the first instance you should go back to your retailer as that's who your contract is with and not Samsung, it's entirely possible that they may refer you to Samsung but it depends how old the tv is...judging by the model i would say you haven't had it very long atall so the retailer should either replace it or refund you depending on which you prefer but normally that's within the first 28 days of purchase.

This all depends on the retailer of course so where did you purchase the tv from? Most respected retailers will not give you any hassle during the first 28 days of purchase so i would talk to your retailer and see where you go from there but one thing is for sure on a set of this quality you shouldn't have the clouding issue and it's worth returning the tv for a replacement or refund.

Hope that is of some help to you.

GazzyP

Jul 3, 2008
Visit site
Are you able to tell us what levels you have the backlight, contrast, brightness etc set at please?

Its worth noting that when these sets go into 3D mode they automaticallty turn the backlight right up to max to give a vivid image and overcome the slight tint of the 3D glasses. Easliy overcome by reducing the backlight to something more reasonable which will reduce clouding.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
GazzyP,

The OP has already stated that they have tried turning the backlight level down and it has not solved the issue and 3D was not mentioned in any of the posts, to me it sounds like a simple clouding issue with the set and that turning the backlight down even further won't solve the issue as it's been set up with a THX optimiser disc so the levels will be quite accurate. Turning the backlight down even further now will just reduce picture quality and shouldn't be required on such an expensive tv but some further info from the OP should clarify the situation.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with backlight clouding issues on a tv such as this, it's a flagship tv and you should expect to not have these issues...personally i would return the tv and get it replaced as i think it's a reasonable request when spending a considerable amount of money on a tv such as this, no?

hyettdman

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I had problems with previous samsung led sets myself. But i've just purchased the new samsung ue46es6800 led tv from robert whytle in scotland, and i've got to say i have no backlight bleed at all, and i mean none. I have uniformed black levels across the screen and no banding at all. The colour pallet is amazing.It does'nt matter what level i have the brightness,not that i have it high anyway, it shows no sign of any problems.The motion is nearly spot on through out when watching blu-ray films and the tv motion handling is spot on. It a special tv.

gunner

Sep 4, 2007
Visit site
having spoken to John Lewis, where the set came from they have agreed to swap the set,

this is why I buy from them, great service.

I did manage to reduce the problem by turning the backlight down to a setting of 4 but the picture quality seemed to suffer

will post again when the new set arrives

thanks for the posts

gunner

Sep 4, 2007
Visit site
having spoken to John Lewis, where the set came from they have agreed to swap the set,

this is why I buy from them, great service.

I did manage to reduce the problem by turning the backlight down to a setting of 4 but the picture quality seemed to suffer

will post again when the new set arrives

thanks for the posts

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi!

Agreed, right out of the box the ES8000 is a tad off when it comes to calibration, but after an hour or two of careful tweaking with your favourite setup disc, you will reap the rewards.
I picked up mine yesterday for £2400 which included 4 pairs of glasses and a couple of 3D Bluray titles.

Be sure to connect it online and upgrade the SmartHub software & contents, there's quite a good selection of 3D documentaries and trailers that will pop in.

Don't dismiss the wealth of Korean pop videos, some of them are quite fun to watch in 3D! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts