samsung 50c7000 .. t kratz , bb , anyone ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

gel:
I personally would not change a tv after a year Max
emotion-21.gif
if it was not for the size of my last one i would not have got rid of it, that was only 3 and half years old.

This one better last a long long long time
emotion-21.gif

emotion-21.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:calmed down now , and no tv is my final answer
emotion-15.gif

'When television came roaring in after the war (World War II) they did a little school survey asking children which they preferred and why - television or radio. And there was this 7-year-old boy who said he preferred radio "because the pictures were better."' - Alistair Cooke

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:At this rate, if max continues the accelerations of his polar reversals of opinion, the switching will soon be moving up into audible frequencies...

I can't keep up.

maxflinn: hi pindi , im sticking with my g10 , its better than all the tvs i seen this morning imo , bar the v20/vt20 , and even they are not much better ...

perhaps there will be something to tempt me next year
emotion-5.gif

emotion-21.gif

Even I think that changing a TV (which you're happy with) within a year is a bit of an excess.

Who knows.....you may go for a projector next year!..... oops
emotion-16.gif

A

Anonymous

i just received a decent offer for my g10 , not an hour ago , a student wants to buy it , knows his stuff re. tvs too , hmmm
emotion-10.gif
.. the v20 is gorgeous
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:i just received a decent offer for my g10 , not an hour ago , a student wants to buy it , knows his stuff re. tvs too , hmmm
emotion-10.gif
.. the v20 is gorgeous
emotion-5.gif

Here we go again
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

im saying
emotion-16.gif
anymore .. if anything nice finds its way into my home , ill update my sig
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

had an interesting demo again today , checked out the c6900 sammy and a vt20 , i was surprised , the samsung was very good with 3d , i got the salesman to play the pana 3d demo disc on a pana player with the sammy , it looked as good as it did on the vt20 , very impressive , there were no dark scenes though , so i couldnt really check out the blacks or shadow detail ..

but i did get a look at a 2d bluray on the sammy , national treasures , at the very start there are a few murky nightime scenes , this is where the good news ended for the samsung , set to movie mode , terrible black crush , no detail whatsoever , like a poor lcd . and the blacks were poor too overall , worse than many lcd tvs of late ? didnt have the time to test the same movie on the pana as the store was closing ..

ill go back on monday and try the same movie on the v20/vt20 , im pretty sure that unless the black crush seen on the sammy is a characteristic of the blu-ray transfer , i will see much more detail and much deeper blacks , which will totally rule out a sammy plasma for me , if im ever in the market for a tv this year
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

you may not have to wait much past 11am on monday morning
emotion-10.gif

emotion-19.gif
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Okay Max i have gone to shop settings at the beginning to try and brighten up the picture to the way i think it was before, first impressions are that the colours are definetely strong, it did ask me do on the shop settings do i want inshop demo or something i said no do you know what would off happened if i said yes?

Cheers.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

had an interesting demo again today , checked out the c6900 sammy and a vt20 , i was surprised , the samsung was very good with 3d , i got the salesman to play the pana 3d demo disc on a pana player with the sammy , it looked as good as it did on the vt20 , very impressive , there were no dark scenes though , so i couldnt really check out the blacks or shadow detail ..

but i did get a look at a 2d bluray on the sammy , national treasures , at the very start there are a few murky nightime scenes , this is where the good news ended for the samsung , set to movie mode , terrible black crush , no detail whatsoever , like a poor lcd . and the blacks were poor too overall , worse than many lcd tvs of late ? didnt have the time to test the same movie on the pana as the store was closing ..

ill go back on monday and try the same movie on the v20/vt20 , im pretty sure that unless the black crush seen on the sammy is a characteristic of the blu-ray transfer , i will see much more detail and much deeper blacks , which will totally rule out a sammy plasma for me , if im ever in the market for a tv this year
emotion-5.gif

Max, I have been doing some more reading on the Samsung P50C7000, and it seems like Samsung have some software issues with the movie mode. I found a picture illustrating the problem, but I am having some technical problems posting it here...

Anyway, it seems like the black level is seriously compromised when the movie mode is on, and turning this off will improve the image significantly.
It should have something to do with the refresh rate:
24, 30 and 60 Hz shows good blacks
25 and 50 Hz shows poor blacks

Apparently this problem was already there on last years models. A bit embarrassing for Samsung it hasn't been fixed yet!

But set up appropriately the black level should be somewhere between 0.03 and 0.05 cd/m2, which is not bad at all!

A

Anonymous

hi tkratz , the model i demoed (50c6900) has 24p , so it should not have suffered because of its refresh rate , assuming that 24p is auto enabled when a blu-ray is being played ??

its possible that picture overscan was on , which would disable 24p , i didnt check that , either way , im not convinced at all by the samsung , why have they sent none for review ?
emotion-40.gif

A

Anonymous

gel:
Okay Max i have gone to shop settings at the beginning to try and brighten up the picture to the way i think it was before, first impressions are that the colours are definetely strong, it did ask me do on the shop settings do i want inshop demo or something i said no do you know what would off happened if i said yes?

Cheers.

not sure gel , i guess that stores have a demo disc for certain tvs , that grabs peoples attention when displayed on the shop settings mode ??

i think you should use thx or professional 1 mode , and fiddle around with the settings on there until you are happy with the picture , to be honest it sounds to me like you are craving for a brighter picture , as the_lhc said before , more lcd like ? that kind of image may look better in the store , under very bright lighting , but in your home it will look pants ..

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

hi tkratz , the model i demoed (50c6900) has 24p , so it should not have suffered because of its refresh rate , assuming that 24p is auto enabled when a blu-ray is being played ??

I am not sure about that. Seems like the cinema mode overrides the 24 Hz.
Well, not sure if the same problem is apparent on the 6900 model.

A

Anonymous

TKratz:maxflinn:

I am not sure about that. Seems like the cinema mode overrides the 24 Hz.
Well, not sure if the same problem is apparent on the 6900 model.

ill have a good play around with the settings on monday , if i can get the blacks and shadow detail on song then i may consider getting one , the 3d is great , as is the price
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

well i was considering a samsung 50c6900 until i read about these possible black level issues , i just didnt want to take a chance to be honest , so i bought a panasonic 50v20 , and im so glad i did , the picture quality is on another level altogether , its simply staggering ..

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:Welcome back, max...
emotion-5.gif

I have a funny feeling Max is going to be haunting us until the day he gets back
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:Oh I think he's rather more present than you may imagine, Herr G...

emotion-3.gif
Yikes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts