Samsung’s first ‘W’ OLED TV has the same name as its QD-OLED, and that’s not alright

Chippy_boy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Whilst I agree that using different tech and the same model numbers is an issue and is just wrong, I think the situation with LCD TVs in the past was FAR worse!

Universally, the 32" LCD TV model - if it existed - would be a different and vastly inferior LCD panel to it's larger siblings of the same model. Samsung's Frame series being a prime example I had the misfortune of experiencing. I bought the TV for the bedroom, looking forward to the decent black levels afforded by the PVA panel type used in the rest of the range. As soon as I turned it on though, the silvery background glow immediately revealed it was an IPS. And a ver poor IPS panel at that, with dreadful clouding and backlight bleed. Presumably a cheap IPS panel. The level of performance difference between that and the e.g. 65" version is simply staggering, and WAY more than comparing a good W-Oled vs a QD-Oled.

Panasonic are at it as well mind you. I bought a 50" top end Panasonic for my Mum and was blown away by how good the picture was. So much so, I decided to buy one for myself, for our breakfast room. But being for a small room, we needed the 40", obviously not an issue, right? Boy oh boy, no. The 40" is "ok" ish - whilst looking at it straight on. Nothing like as good as the 50 but not absolutely terrible. But off-axis by only a few degrees, the picture falls apart to the extent it is laugh out loud bad, with washed out colours and black levels so terrible you think the TV has broken. And yet again, these are marketed as the same TVs.

I'll be honest, reviewers don't help either. Understandably they cannot test every TV size when testing a model. But they do nothing to explain to buyers that the review of the e.g. 65" might be wholly irrelevant for someone looking to buy the 40". Where's the disclaimer? The assumption all too often by the reviewer is that the review conclusions will be valid across the range, when absolutely this is not the case.

What consumers need from manufacturers and reviewers is clear information about the panel type in each TV for each size. Clearly detailing which sizes use the same panels and which do not. Without such info, customers are unable to make an informed choice. Viewing them in the store offers little or no help either, with the bright lights and TVs in torch mode, hardly being a good test environment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts