Same old story - Cyrus and Monitor Audio interconnect thoughts

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, I know this has been discussed at length, but I'd appreciate your thoughts on suitable interconnects for my particular Cyrus and MA system.

Current system is: CD8X -> Pre VS2 -> 2 x 8 Power's running in mono, bi-wired to MA RX6's. Speaker cables: Cyrus bi-wires same as the DNM design stuff and interconnects are Chord Cobra 3's. I also use a Sonos ZP90 to pull through music from Spotify / music server and an upgraded Rega Planar 3. I plan to upgrade the CDP to an 8SE later this year, shortly followed by the Pre which will go to a Pre XPd so that I have a decent DAC for the Sonos and other digital sources. I will also get a PSXR or two once I have sorted the hifi rack to accommodate it / them. Oh, I have also upgraded the power leads and have power conditioning.

The reason for wanting the change is that we have recently moved home and having been quite constrained on listening to music in our previous place - it was a converted Edwardian flat - I am now able to listen to my system the way it was designed to be. As such, I've found the current configuration to be a bit restrained; there's nothing wrong with it, but I think I can exploit what I've currently got somewhat more. I'd like the system to have an increased sound stage, retain the current spot-on timing and generally increase the overall musicality, without things becoming too bright as I know the Cyrus / MA combination can be.

The reason I'm only looking at the interconnects for now is that the speaker cables are run under the floor (I'll never understand the missus's dislike to cables) so they can't be changed and I've not had the MA's for long, so I can't justify replacing these just yet. I'd also like to stick with the electronics I've got for now, as the upgrades mentioned above will come once funds have built up again. Being impatient and loving to tweak, I'd like to do some fettling now.

So, my current thoughts are; Chord - Chorus 2, Missing Link - Alaqeia with Eichmann bullets or Van den Hul - The First / Second. Budget wise, I'm thinking circa £200 per pair. I've recently borrowed some Rega - Couple interconnects, which are fine, but I don't feel they add anything to the system, which I suppose is what they are designed to do. I'll obviously try to audition the cabes first, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

The room the system's in fairly large with carpeted floors, rugs and two large sofas so we're not short on damping. Many thanks for now.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dan

Out of your suggestions I would try the Van den Hul. Outside of that, possibly Linn Silvers (these are all copper and buy from ebay) and Telurium Q Black i/c (a bit over budget).

Usual advice applies - always have the option to demo and return.

Cno

T

the record spot

As you've asked for our thoughts I'll throw mine in. Save the money for now, read Roger Russell's site (Google him) and have a bit of a think about what he's saying. I've been there, done that and gone through a bunch of interconnects (probably about ten) ranging from £7 (Computergear AV range) to £225 (Atlas Navigator) and I've heard all the rationale in favour and against under the sun. In the end, I trust my ears, which no doubt you will too and why I'd recommend not only trying out the £8 Computergear ones (or QED Qunex 2 if you can't bear the thought of unbranded) but some 322 or 500 strand OFC speaker cable.

All you need is an open mind and a little objectivity. :)

EDIT: Alternatively, move your speakers around a bit. That's the cheapest upgrade of all!

A

Anonymous

speedydan said:
I'd like the system to have an increased sound stage, retain the current spot-on timing and generally increase the overall musicality, without things becoming too bright as I know the Cyrus / MA combination can be.

To be frank, cables won't change any of this. Cables will either all sound exactly the same, or if you have a poor pre-amp/source and a very capacitive cable they will dull the sound by blind luck and poor engineering.

I've spend a while at various hi-fi shows auditioning cables, interconnects, speakers and mains cables with friends, and without exception I've never heard the slightest difference with any of them.

If you want to acheive the sound you are after you need to change the amplifier to a Tube one or a Class A, as no one seems to know how to design a decent class B transistor one these days.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dan, you've heard from both sides of the arguement - so can you let us know what you end up doing, and what (if any) differences you hear.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts