admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Simple question is sacd as a format dead or does it have a long life over redbook ? Having seen the too few releases on this format is the industry going to dumb down and accept the inferior sound that redbook cds give us?

Mike.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="snakeybyrne"]
Simple question is sacd as a format dead or does it have a long life over redbook ? Having seen the too few releases on this format is the industry going to dumb down and accept the inferior sound that redbook cds give us?

Mike.
[/quote]

I wish I knew the answer. SACD is better but if there is no will on the part of the record companies then....

Manufactures are still building new SACD models (some very expensive) so maybe there is still a bit of hope

A

Anonymous

There are still SACDs being released, but not enough, it's surely going to die out. There's virtually no new releases on SACD, so how are they expecting it to survive?? I wouldn't pay much for a SACD player now tbh.

nads

http://www.sa-cd.net/home plenty out there. But what surprised me was that i had quite a few dual CD SACD's that i did not know about as they were not marketed as SACD's and the LOGO was that small you could not see it. i only found out after putting one in my multi disc player and SACD appeared..... Oh some Depeche Mode CD and DVD special editions... (the CD was a SACD).

A

Anonymous

BTW, has anyone heard anything about Linn planning to add DSD files playback to Linn DS players??

I've heard the rumour some time ago but didn't find anyone who could confirm it, any recent news on it?

A

Anonymous

I don't hold a lot of hope out for SACD. It's a great format but without software it really is never going to get the base that it deserves. The ability to download high resolution audio files will not help the cause.

T

the record spot

I'm just wearily resigned to picking up the odd title on SACD (which I really enjoy as a format), although I'd be inclined to suggest the OP seeks out some decent recordings on standard CD to find that it's not the woe-begotten format a lot of people consider it to be. Good mastering makes all the difference and I've heard a good few SACDs which aren't worth the money and then some cracking redbook discs which are truly jaw-dropping.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:I'm just wearily resigned to picking up the odd title on SACD (which I really enjoy as a format), although I'd be inclined to suggest the OP seeks out some decent recordings on standard CD to find that it's not the woe-begotten format a lot of people consider it to be. Good mastering makes all the difference and I've heard a good few SACDs which aren't worth the money and then some cracking redbook discs which are truly jaw-dropping.

Hit the nail on the head TRS. Usually the words "re-mastered for SACD" spells trouble. I've also noticed that new SACDs tend to be classical, while other genres are re-masters. You also wonder why bands like the Kinks have a lot of their back catalogue on SACD. Much as I think they're a seminal band, they weren't known for the quality of their productions.

As to CDs, well, my Ziggy Stardust I bought years ago is much, much better than the SACD offering. And even though I don't like either of them particularly, Norah Jones and Katie Melua have some lovely CDs out, sound-wise anyway.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Good mastering makes all the difference and I've heard a good few SACDs which aren't worth the money

same for vinyl, SACD and LP are best formats, but they only offer best potential and it's sound engineers job to make an SACD or LP sound right, and done right SACD and LP sound IMHO better than 16bit 44k CD.

T

the record spot

YT:
the record spot:Good mastering makes all the difference and I've heard a good few SACDs which aren't worth the money

same for vinyl, SACD and LP are best formats, but they only offer best potential and it's sound engineers job to make an SACD or LP sound right, and done right SACD and LP sound IMHO better than 16bit 44k CD.

You've seen my avatar and username here right...?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I think all these new formats are ridiculous, there are too many (audio and visual), I'm staying hard drive based forever!

ÿ

All you need is data, not a zillion disc formats

ÿ

Dumbÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts