SACD via AV AMP

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What is the correct settings to use to listen to a SACD (Marantz UD7006) running through an Onkyo TXRN609?

Am I correct in thinking the receiver needs to be set for multi-channel or does the pure audio button on the front play a role?

Thanks.

dontlaugh

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Can I add to this question and perhaps bump it up the list for a reply?

I am looking at purchasing an Onkyo TX-NR609 and at some point a universal disc player to take advantage of SACD.

The Onkyo doesn't have multi-channel analogue inputs so how would it and the player connect?

Presumably an HDMI cable between player and amp would do, or one of the digital interfaces?

This rather dictates whether I have to save up and go for the Onkyo big brother which Does have multi-channel analogue capability.

A

Anonymous

Your Marantz SACD player, can output SACD over stereo / 5.1 analogue outputs, or via DSD over HDMI.

Your Onkyo however, doesn't have 5.1 analogue inputs and can't decode DSD over HDMI. :( Apparently the lowest Onkyo that can decode DSD over HDMI is the 875.

So the best you can do, is run a stereo analogue output from the Marantz to the Onkyo and listen to SACD in stereo. In which case, you're probably best to use the pure audio mode, to prevent the Onkyo digitizing the incoming signal and mucking about with it.

SACD (and DVD-A) over optical won't be possible, due to copyright issues (no encryption in SPDIF standard) and lack of bandwidth. However you maybe able to play DVD-A disc in high res surround over HDMI, as these are LPCM, which your Onkyo can decode fine.

dontlaugh

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Having forgotten all about the SACD question, I went ahead and bought the Onkyo TXRN609.

Now that I come again to look at SACD and how I get around the Onkyo lack of multi-channel inputs, I was disappointed to read the response given by Arfa.

Having looked at those receivers which might offer such inputs, I happened to go back to the Onkyo website and the TXRN609.

In the technical specs it states: HDMI® Support for 3D, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and CEC

I will have to clarify with Onkyo exactly what "Support fo Super Audio CD" means and whether this will offer 5.1 capability, but initial indications are promising.

I will let you know!

Martin

A

Anonymous

I did the same as you "Dontlaugh". And I can't get SACD's to play despite what their technical spec said either. So I'd be very interested to know if Onkyo come back with a solution asap (which I somehow doubt if there is) or else I'll have to take the receiver back to the shop next week because its no good to me without that.

Thanks

Ed

dontlaugh

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
So I never did get back to Onkyo - pressures of work and all that.

I spotted the Sony BDPS480 while relieving boredom in Tesco the other night.

This is the BluRay player that is also SACD capable and appears to output DSD.

(It is also available through Richer Sounds for just £99 so might be worth a gamble).

Did anyone else discover whether the Onkyo 609 will do DSD processing and will that be the Coax digital connection between player and receiver or HDMI?

The Sony will output either DSD or PCM depending upon how a particular menu item is set - worth checking if surround from SACD isn't working.

Martin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts