SACD players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
MajorFubar said:
Anyone found a way of ripping the SACD (DSD?) layer, and if so, does it honestly sound any different/worse if you convert it to 16:44 PCM?

Apparently it is possible but only if employing an old Sony Xbox. Much too faffy if you ask me. I very much doubt you'll hear any difference, although just why you'd want to perform any more digital mish-mashing I wouldn't know. :)

So it could be played by any old CD player or streamer. I don't have enough knowledge about DSD and SACDs to know whether the technology they use is always going to sound superior to PCM where there are no other variables (such as different masters) or whether it's basically a load of old baloney. I know the basics of the theory behind DSD, but I don't know how that manifests itself as real unquestionable audible improvements.

I see you are a 'doubter' Major. That's fine but I know what I hear and be it SACD or indeed blu-ray audio I wouldn't be paying out that sort of money if I couldn't hear the benefits, and no I doubt there is different masterings involved as that would be uneconomic.

MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:
I see you are a 'doubter' Major.

I don't think I could have made it any more plain that I don't know enough about it and I do not have a pre-formed opinion on the matter.

My appologies if I read you all wrong then Major, I though you were posting somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

I'd delete my last post if I could. Pity they don't have a button for that.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't even begin to worry about it, Al. Internet forums are so not the best place for understanding people's intentions some times. But no the real truth is I know so little about HDCDs vs CDs that I've no idea whether the differences people hear are genuinely because the technology is inherrently better than PCM, or whether it's some other factor. Hence why I was wondering if anyone had successfully converted HDCD to regular 16:44 PCM, and if they had, whether it was worse or no different.

MajorFubar said:
Don't even begin to worry about it, Al. Internet forums are so not the best place for understanding people's intentions some times. But no the real truth is I know so little about HDCDs vs CDs that I've no idea whether the differences people hear are genuinely because the technology is inherrently better than PCM, or whether it's some other factor. Hence why I was wondering if anyone had successfully converted HDCD to regular 16:44 PCM, and if they had, whether it was worse or no different.

Sound a bit like me there Major, I haven't a clue about ripping from SACD just heard it could be done. As for down-converting said files I wouldn't even attempt it.

All I know is I prefer the overall presentation from a SACD disc on my current system. What it would be like on anyone else's I could not say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts