SACD player search

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

the naim 5i would be my pick but id also consider the ca 840

if you still want sacd then the marantz models are good as are the newer pioneers alternatively buy the cd player and if it hasnt got sacd theres the ultra cheap sony scd xe597 which you could use just for sacds price about £150

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

For me, the best two CD players under £1k are these two....

CD5i - I've always been a fan of Naim. I've always liked the fact that it produces music, rather than just noise when compared to the average Japanese CD players (although they have improved a lot of the last 10/15 years). I've always liked the energy they have, as I'm not one for a system that's too smooth. You can be trying amps and speakers out with an alternative CD player, which might sound fine. Then you pop the Naim on, and if properly warmed up, can transform the whole thing.

Saturn - Sometimes the CD5i may be a little 'forward' sounding for some people, or their system might not be too receptive to a CD player that doesn't hold much back. The Rega is almost the other end of the scale - warm, silky smooth and laid back. Ideal if the system's higher frequencies are a little strident. The Saturn never usually sounds completely even and balanced, but it does sound like music - that goes for anything Rega. Stick a whole Rega system together and you just know it's not the last word in accuracy, but you just don't care because it sounds so damn nice.

Hope this helps.

The Saturn does appeal but I do prefer a bit of accuracy, and the top mounting would cause problems for me. The Naim definately still at the top of my list. Do you not rate the Arcam CD37 against the Naim? The only problem is that I think any CD player should intergrate well as to my ears my system is pretty balanced. (CD player> VDH 'The Wave' > Yamaha Z7 in pure mode > Chord Carnival Silverscreen > Monitor Audio RS8s) I want good timing, detail but not too lean, refined but not too smooth. I heard an Arcam CD17 with the Z7 but it seemed clear if a little restrained. Likewise I heard a Quad set up (power amp and CD player) with RX6s and it had no definition in notes, so if that's smooth, I'll avoid it! I know what I want in a CD player, I just need to find it. Any suggestions of what might meet my criterea (or even in support of the CD5I-2) would be hugely appreciated guys.

A

Anonymous

Which SACD player would be better? The Sony DVP-S9000ES, or the newer SCD-XA3000ES?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts