Sacd playback via Bluray into Onkyo x8050 coaxial?

crang

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi sorry for being a bit thick! I have researched this quite a lot however I am still unsure. Will this work or not please? As in title I am asking if I could play SACD through coxial out of Sony blue ray to coaxial into Onkyo tx 8050. Thanks all

T

the record spot

In short, no. You can do it using the analogue phono interconnect option (if the player has them), but not via the Onkyo's DAC. They just don't do the conversion. It's to do with the licensing from Sony to allow other companies to have their DACs decode SACD. Some have this but not many.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the record spot said:
It's to do with the licensing from Sony to allow other companies to have their DACs decode SACD.

Not quite - it's more of a bandwidth issue (though some may also say it's about copy protection). There are some receivers able to accept and decode the output from SACD, but they do so over HDMI. Alternatively, as already stated, you need to do the connection in analogue, either in stereo or – if the player and receiver provide suitable connections – multichannel.

sometimesuk

Sep 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi, You will only be able to output the CD layer through COAX. No player will output high res SACD though COAX as for some reason its either part of the SACD standard or Sony doesnt permit manufactures to do it.

The only options I have heard about, is first generation PS2 with an early firmware could do it, but this got through by mistake, so if its updated above a certain version, it wont do it.

Very high end players can do it using a propriety connection,but these players costs several £0000

T

the record spot

Andrew Everard said:
the record spot said:
It's to do with the licensing from Sony to allow other companies to have their DACs decode SACD.

Not quite - it's more of a bandwidth issue (though some may also say it's about copy protection). There are some receivers able to accept and decode the output from SACD, but they do so over HDMI. Alternatively, as already stated, you need to do the connection in analogue, either in stereo or – if the player and receiver provide suitable connections – multichannel.

Ah, thanks Andrew; I thought that Sony were just being keen with their baby (not that it makes much difference given the lack of adopters over the yeas) - wonder why more Blu-ray or home cinema systems with HDMI don't offer it though?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts